How can I automate Digital Signatures: XML signatures using certificate from client certificate store in a web application? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I am tying to automate a digital signature functionality for some automation requirement in my organization. Something very similar to what InfoPath does when you try to digitally sign a form.

Scenario: There are a few XML documents in my SP document library. They are XML forms that I use and build for data collection. These forms should be digitally signed using a digital certificate issued by the CA (Windows Server 2003 Certificate Authority) in my organization. These certificates are based on the CA template to be used for User Signatures Only.

I built a C# based web application to download the file from SP, sign it using a DG certificate from the local machine of the server and upload the document back to the document library.

My problem is, I am unable to do the same, since the web application that is now running my code is unable to read the certificate / or its information from the client running the web app.

How is it possible to sign the same XML document using certificate stored in the users machine. InfoPath pushes a Digital Signing ActiveX to read and access certificates in the clients machine.

Is there a way I can get this to work?

.NET Reaper
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:08 AM

Answers

All replies