Giving External Customers Access to CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure this is a loaded question.

I've recently deployed CRM 4.0 to manage our support cases and it's working great internally.

Phase 2, I would like to allow my external customers to have the ablity to submit new Cases via the web, look at the status of open cases, and make new notes on existing cases if they need to.

What's the best way to implement this?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:25 PM

Answers

• I would say that the answer to this question would depend on how many of these users that there are.  There are several new "conector" user types that would allow external users to view reports, and access the data, but not use the application.  These users are a lot cheaper than full user seats, and could enable you to expose certain parts of CRM data to them via something like the SharePoint business data catalog on an externally available web site.

For submitting cases, you could use something like the C360 email to case and allow them to email in new cases.

Of course you also could add CRM seats for them and deploy the IFD tool so they can log in externally, however, this might be overkill and expensive if they only need what you describe.

You probably want to discuss this with a Microsoft License Reseller.  They can give you the specifics on the various types of user licenses and make a recommendation based on what you want to do.  There is some gray area around exposing CRM data externally and when a license is required and when it is not, and they can clarify it for you.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  

yes you can give them,  see you are looking like this  http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com/2007/08/ticket-management-helpdesk-system-for.html

Regards,

Imran

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:39 PM

All replies

• I would say that the answer to this question would depend on how many of these users that there are.  There are several new "conector" user types that would allow external users to view reports, and access the data, but not use the application.  These users are a lot cheaper than full user seats, and could enable you to expose certain parts of CRM data to them via something like the SharePoint business data catalog on an externally available web site.

For submitting cases, you could use something like the C360 email to case and allow them to email in new cases.

Of course you also could add CRM seats for them and deploy the IFD tool so they can log in externally, however, this might be overkill and expensive if they only need what you describe.

You probably want to discuss this with a Microsoft License Reseller.  They can give you the specifics on the various types of user licenses and make a recommendation based on what you want to do.  There is some gray area around exposing CRM data externally and when a license is required and when it is not, and they can clarify it for you.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  

yes you can give them,  see you are looking like this  http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com/2007/08/ticket-management-helpdesk-system-for.html

Regards,

Imran

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:39 PM
  • We use our Sharepoint Server to serve up Web pages for this function.  Using the SDK, we retrieve and update the database according to Microsoft supported methods. 

Also, there is information floating around that this feature will be available in the next CRM release so you may want to wait a little bit.  Here is a link to some information about that feature.  Currently the feature is referred to as eService.

http://blog.increasecrm.co.uk/2008/07/microsoft-announce-eight-new-crm-40.html

Best Regards,

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:40 PM