Guidance Needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Varsha here. This is a beginner's problem i am facing, i want a complete guidance through microsoft certifications. Actually im lost reading these forums , all the certification numbers etc. I would actually be joining a company in a few months , meantime wanted to do certifications in my interest i.e .NET i have knowledge is basic c# programming, windows application M/S visual studio env. I am not very happy with my programming skills on c# though yet, hence i would like guidance on how to actually go about the ceritfications? how do i start off? which is the right one? I am seeing discussion of people who already have industry exp and know what they want , but i'm still lingering so i require all the intial details of the required certifications please.

I would also say, my interest lies in database too. So will a certification in that will help me at initial levels i am in?
    Suggestions on a database ceritifcations which i actually find myself enjoy working on hence how should i go about this?

And finally having a  .NET certification does it have some value addition now? considering with all the development happening, i also heard other new technologies will be put much to use than .NET but wasn't told which :-).Is it valid for me to think in the perspective of the market now? If so which technology would see a rise of use in the industry?

I came across microsoft office ceritfications. Is that for particular professionals in a particular field who would need that if so what kind of professionals need this? what are their designations? What is their job profile? Will it be of use if i would see into this also. Too many questions  of different views!! I am confused!!

But if anybody could guide me. Or let me am i thinking right?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:24 AM

Answers

• Microsoft Office certifications are more for computer users than IT professionals (at least that is my take). They would be useful for a first line person.

As you don't have any experience and you are not sure which was to go, you need to take a basic exam first. For all things .net, this is the exam you should take:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-536

It is the stepping stone to many other qualifications and may give you a bit more of an idea which direction you want to head in.

Having a qualification is always of value, but so is experience, so if you are at college or something like that, you may wish to organise yourself some voluntary work experience. Again, this will give you an idea of what sort of direction you want to head in.

If you want to start on database certifications, you may want to look at these: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2

I hope this is a help

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

• Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:31 AM

All replies

• Microsoft Office certifications are more for computer users than IT professionals (at least that is my take). They would be useful for a first line person.

As you don't have any experience and you are not sure which was to go, you need to take a basic exam first. For all things .net, this is the exam you should take:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-536

It is the stepping stone to many other qualifications and may give you a bit more of an idea which direction you want to head in.

Having a qualification is always of value, but so is experience, so if you are at college or something like that, you may wish to organise yourself some voluntary work experience. Again, this will give you an idea of what sort of direction you want to head in.

If you want to start on database certifications, you may want to look at these: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2

I hope this is a help

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

• Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Thank you

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    cinehard
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:26 AM