• Question

• Hi,

For MCPD Windows Developer the following exams are retiring in July 2013:
    70-511 (WPF),
    70-513 (WCF),
    70-516 (Data),
    70-518 (Designing and Developing)

I have a couple of questions:

What would happen if I only complete the first 2 exams before the exams retire in July?

As I would not be a MCPD as I havent completed all 4 exams - and will be unable to as they are retiring... I assume I will not be able to go through any Upgrade path to the MCSD?

I would not mind going straight for MCSD which I can find exam (70-487: Developing Windows Azure and Web Services) covers WCF+Data, but is there any new exam that has WPF content...

Please advice.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:30 AM

Answers

• If you only complete the first two exams before the rest of them retire in July, then you will have the two MCTS certifications corresponding to those exams, but you will be unable to achieve the MCPD certification. The only upgrade path to MCSD starts from the MCPD, but not from the individual MCTSs, so you would be "stuck" and you would have to start over on the exams for MCSD.

So in your case, it would be better to go straight for the MCSD. If you want to cover WPF, then I suggest taking the path for "MCSD: Windows Store Apps Using C#": http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsd-windows-store-apps-certification.aspx

Exams 70-484 and 70-485, for Windows Store App Development Using C#, basically deal with developing applications for Windows 8 with a XAML interface.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:19 AM

All replies

• If you only complete the first two exams before the rest of them retire in July, then you will have the two MCTS certifications corresponding to those exams, but you will be unable to achieve the MCPD certification. The only upgrade path to MCSD starts from the MCPD, but not from the individual MCTSs, so you would be "stuck" and you would have to start over on the exams for MCSD.

So in your case, it would be better to go straight for the MCSD. If you want to cover WPF, then I suggest taking the path for "MCSD: Windows Store Apps Using C#": http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsd-windows-store-apps-certification.aspx

Exams 70-484 and 70-485, for Windows Store App Development Using C#, basically deal with developing applications for Windows 8 with a XAML interface.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Seems a bit odd that MSFT would remove WPF certifications. For business applications where you have Windows clients on Vista/7/8/8.1 etc, what platform do you target for new applications? WinForms or WPF are the options for desktop based applications aren't they? So why does Microsoft not provide a certification for these platforms anymore?

Monday, March 16, 2015 12:16 AM