Thinking of Managing Your Money in the Cloud? RRS feed

• General discussion

• If you are still tempted to manage your money in the cloud, you might want to look at this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368423,00.asp

Money Sunset looks better and better.....

Monday, August 30, 2010 6:31 PM

All replies

• I think Microsoft are making a mistake assuming the "cloud" is the only way forward.

Ironically, Money was an example of the way forward in my view - local data storage with cloud synchronisation and access to data on the web. What a brilliant product - well ahead of its time! Then they discontinue it...

Ironically, the one product that is ideally suited to cloud - Outlook - does not work (unless you are corporate client with exchange).

Microsoft are losing it big time.

I prefer the Mac strategy of closely integrated hardware and software that just works.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Oh I dunno says "I prefer the Mac strategy of closely integrated hardware and software that just works."

My take is: Fine, as long as you like the way Apple believes things are supposed to work.  But personally, I don't buy into that model.  The whole point of PCs is the 'P' part.  They're supposed to be Personal.  And there are a whole lot of people out there who have their own 'personal' ideas of how things should work that don't track the Apple way.  Don't get me wrong.  The Apple products are well designed and well made.  If they weren't, they'd have been history years ago.  But my take is that they are merely different - not better.  My personal experience (admitedly several years old now) is that Macs are no more crash proof than Windows is.  And as a personal matter, I prefer the flexibility of Microsoft (such as it is) to the my-way-or-the-highway rigidity of Macs.

As to the cloud, I'm old school, so I don't count.  But I do everything I can to keep my data OFF of the cloud and limited to my own physical PC. 

Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:44 PM