Xbox 360 And WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Xbox 360 not seeing WMV in Video share, Anybody know why? Sees all Pics and all Music from there respective shares but not the Videos.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 3:44 PM

Answers

•  backlund wrote:

You need to enable the guest account in WHS in order for the X360 to access it.  The X360 uses an unknown account to access data, which the WHS doesnt have in its list of users.  enabling the guest account will allow access.  I would keep the account with read permissions only, though.  If someone was to connect to your WIFI somehow, they can also access all of the WHS data with guest access.  Keeping a read permission on the guest account ensures that they won't be deleting any of your server's data.

This is true with Windows Media Center edition but NOT TRUE with Xbox 360.  The Media Sharing libraries allow for Media Connect devices to communicate with the Windows Home Server and stream music, photos and videos.

Starting and stopping the Media Sharing library restarts some services.  That is why it can fix the problem.  Another thing to try and fix this would be to turn the media sharing libraries off, reboot the Windows Home Server, then turn them back on.

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:08 PM
  •  Coolman SG wrote:

One question to add to the thread, may not be appropriate but what video format could be access from xBox 360 other than WMV?

Thanks in advance.

Law

WMV, 7, 8, and 9,  MPEG-2,  DVR-MS (MCE Recorded TV files) and MPEG-1 .

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:47 AM
  • Media Connect Windows Home Server supports the following, but the Xbox 360 does not support some of these formats.

Audio

• Windows Media Audio (.wma)
    • Advanced Systems Format (.asf)
    • MP3 (.mp3)
    • WAV (.wav)

Video

• Windows Media Video (.wmv)
    • Microsoft Recorded TV Show (.dvr-ms)
    • Audio Video Interleaved (.avi)
    • MPEG-1 (.mpeg, .mpg)
    • MPEG-2 (.mp2, .mpeg, .mpg)

Picture

• Bitmap (.bmp)
    • Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
    • Joint Photographic Experts Group (.jpeg, .jpg)
    • Portable Network Graphics (.png)
    • Tagged Image File Format (.tif, .tiff)
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:56 PM
  • AVI ?  Are you sure Joel, I do not think the Xbox360 can play them.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem when I first copied stuff over to the server.  A simple reboot of the server worked for me. Smile

Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:01 PM
  • When that happens to me i simply use the console to toggle video sharing off then on again.  Seems to work Smile
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 6:14 PM
  •  

You need to enable the guest account in WHS in order for the X360 to access it.  The X360 uses an unknown account to access data, which the WHS doesnt have in its list of users.  enabling the guest account will allow access.  I would keep the account with read permissions only, though.  If someone was to connect to your WIFI somehow, they can also access all of the WHS data with guest access.  Keeping a read permission on the guest account ensures that they won't be deleting any of your server's data.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 5:57 PM
  • My Guest account is off but my 360 can access shared video and photos without a hitch.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 6:02 PM
  •  almonde wrote:
    My Guest account is off but my 360 can access shared video and photos without a hitch.

Are you accessing through the media blade on the 360, or through the media center on the 360?  I could access files through the media blade just fine, but the media center extender would not see the WHS until the guest account was enabled.

Monday, August 6, 2007 6:17 PM
  • Media Blade
    Monday, August 6, 2007 6:34 PM
  •  backlund wrote:

This is true with Windows Media Center edition but NOT TRUE with Xbox 360.  The Media Sharing libraries allow for Media Connect devices to communicate with the Windows Home Server and stream music, photos and videos.

Starting and stopping the Media Sharing library restarts some services.  That is why it can fix the problem.  Another thing to try and fix this would be to turn the media sharing libraries off, reboot the Windows Home Server, then turn them back on.

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:08 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

Thanks Joel, adding some reason and explanation to my turn it off turn it back on remedy for most things Smile
    Monday, August 6, 2007 10:13 PM
  • You're welcome!  :-)

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:27 PM
  •  

One question to add to the thread, may not be appropriate but what video format could be access from xBox 360 other than WMV?

Thanks in advance.

Law

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:15 AM
  •  Coolman SG wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Law

WMV, 7, 8, and 9,  MPEG-2,  DVR-MS (MCE Recorded TV files) and MPEG-1 .

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:47 AM
  • The xbox can also play H.264 but cannot be streamed through windows media connect (what WHS uses) can only be streamed via WMP11.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Media Connect Windows Home Server supports the following, but the Xbox 360 does not support some of these formats.

Audio

• Windows Media Audio (.wma)
    • Advanced Systems Format (.asf)
    • MP3 (.mp3)
    • WAV (.wav)

Video

• Windows Media Video (.wmv)
    • Microsoft Recorded TV Show (.dvr-ms)
    • Audio Video Interleaved (.avi)
    • MPEG-1 (.mpeg, .mpg)
    • MPEG-2 (.mp2, .mpeg, .mpg)

Picture

• Bitmap (.bmp)
    • Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
    • Joint Photographic Experts Group (.jpeg, .jpg)
    • Portable Network Graphics (.png)
    • Tagged Image File Format (.tif, .tiff)
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:56 PM
  • AVI ?  Are you sure Joel, I do not think the Xbox360 can play them.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:15 PM
  •  

Sorry, Media Connect supports those, Xbox 360 doesn't support AVI.
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:18 PM
  •  

For the record, most of those formats are NOT playable through the 360 directly.  You will have to have a Windows Media Center PC and use the 360's Media Center Extender to play things like DVR-MS and MPEG2 files.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Since the video has already been stated,

Supported file types

The following file types are supported when you use WMC with the Xbox 360 console:

Audio

Windows Media Audio (.wma)
    MP3 (.mp3)
    WAV (.wav)

Picture

Windows bitmap (.bmp)
    Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
    Joint Photographic Experts Group (.jpeg, .jpg)
    Portable Network Graphics (.png)
    Tagged Image File Format (.tif, .tiff)

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:13 PM
  • On my system I can see the WHS shares from the media blade, also I can see them from the VMC computer.  Great. 

Except I cannot access them from the xbox360 media center extender.  I can only see media that is on the VMC computer itself.

I tried turning on the guest account as suggested, but still no love.  Rebooting, reconnecting the extender, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Fredpd:  Enable the guest account but with no password, the Xbox360 Media Center Extender will work then. 

Sunday, August 12, 2007 3:03 AM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Enable the guest account but with no password, the Xbox360 Media Center Extender will work then. 

I can get my XBox 360 to grab media from WHS through the Media Blade, but not through  the XBox 360 Media Center Extender.  I enabled the guest account with no password, but it still doesn't work.  When I try to go to Media Center on the XBox, it goes through the steps of setting up a computer that has Media Center on it (where you need to type in the 8 numbers from the XBox into a Media Center PC).  But since WHS doesn't have a screen like that, I'm at a loss on how to get it to work.  Any other suggestions?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:06 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:
     Richard A Miller wrote:

Enable the guest account but with no password, the Xbox360 Media Center Extender will work then. 

I can get my XBox 360 to grab media from WHS through the Media Blade, but not through  the XBox 360 Media Center Extender.  I enabled the guest account with no password, but it still doesn't work.  When I try to go to Media Center on the XBox, it goes through the steps of setting up a computer that has Media Center on it (where you need to type in the 8 numbers from the XBox into a Media Center PC).  But since WHS doesn't have a screen like that, I'm at a loss on how to get it to work.  Any other suggestions?

The media center on the 360 needs to connect to a Windows Media Center PC in your house, which I am assuming you do not have.  This is one of the main idiocies of the 360, in that it cannot play certain formats without connecting to a MCE based PC.  There really is no reason why you shouldn't be able to play any format in the 360 media blade, but for some reason Microsoft restricts it.

In other words, if you don't have a media center PC, your SOL.
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Ohhh ok, that makes sense. Smile

Actually, I do have Vista Ultimate.  I misunderstood what Richard was saying (I thought he meant it could be done without using MCE at all).  So if I enable the WHS guest account without a password, I will be able to play more file types stored on WHS through Vista?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Ok, so I am having a problem getting my XBox 360 to see video files stored on my WHS.  I have been reading posts on here to help discover a solution but I am not sure I have found a solution yet.

The Xbox sees my Videos folder, but it does not see all of the files in the folder.  I have about 180 or so files in the root of the Videos folder but the Xbox only sees about 90.  I have several sub-folders, and while the Xbox sees the folders, when I try to open many of them, it reports no videos in the folder.  But others it will open and display files.

What I am really not "getting" is that there are files it "sees" but cannot play, but why are there files that it cannot "see"?  The files are MPEG, AVI, MP4.  It will see but not play MPEG, but it cannot see AVI and MP4 files.

I did try turning sharing on and off to no avail.  However I am REALLY bothered that some of the suggestions, even coming from the Home Server Team, are to reboot the server.  Does that bother anyone else?  "Reboot the server" should be a last ditch effort.

Ghost

Sunday, September 30, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Hi Ghost,

The main cause of confusion here is that people are using different names or confusing the different features in both 'Media Connect' and the Xbox360'.

The 'Xbox360' can play media files in TWO different sections.

1. The 'Media Blade' which plays media files via 'Windows Media Connect' or via 'Windows Media Player 11'

This just adds to the confision as 'WMC' and 'WMP11' allow the Xbox360's 'Media Blade' to play two different lists of media files. [see Joel's posts for the actual file lists]  Basically, WMP11 has a newer version of WMC built-in which allows it to play more file types.

2. The 'Media Centre Blade' which works as a 'Media Centre Extender'.

This blade allows you play a third list of media files [again see Joel's posts]

Then just to really mess everyone up 

We have 'Media Centre Extenders' which come in THREE types,

'Type One' I believe were designed for 'Media Centre Edition' pre Rollup2.

'Type Two' are for 'Media Centre Edition' Rollup2 and later.

'Type Three' should be coming soon and are designed are 'Vista Media Centre' machines.

The three types of extenders have different functions, which probably means they play different media files again. [I can't say much about this as i've never had one]

To get these to work with 'WHS' you have to enable the 'Guest Account' without a password.

I've no idea if they will play all the files they'll find on the 'WHS' but i'd guess they'd only play the files that, that type of 'Media Centre Extender' is allowed to play.

As for the files types you were asking about .MPEG .AVI and .MP4

MPEG's can be played by the 'Media Centre Blade' from a 'Media Centre Edition PC'

MP4's can be played in the 'Media Blade' from any PC running 'WMP11'

AVI's can't be played on the 'Xbox360' in either blade as standard.

Although there are programs for 'Media Centre Edition' that will 'Transcode' the .AVI's into .WMV's that the 'Xbox360' will then play from the 'Media Centre Blade'.

One last thing to bare in mind, is you can only have ONE PC connected to each 'Xbox360 blade'

Which means if your using a PC with 'WMP11' to watch .MP4's you can't access your files on 'WHS' untill you disconect from the 'WMP11' PC and reconect to your 'WHS'.

I hope that makes things a little easier to understand. 

Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:10 PM
  • AVI works fine for me.

I had a random mix of .avi and .mp4 files on my WHS Video share and my Xbox found the .avi ones and plays them just fine.

I'm now in the process of figuring out how to get it to recognize the mp4 ones.  I don't want to have to install tversity, but if I can't solve it, that's the route I'm going with next.

JJ
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:50 PM