Vista 64 RRS feed

• Question

• Was happy that i got the invite but...with 3 vista64 systems running on ontop of server 2003 sp2 trial I guess i am out of luck and disapointed. Good news is my systems are all happy and fast so I guess i won't break what's all ready working well. Bad news will have to pony up the cost of Full priced server software in 180 days.  MS Please make home server 64 compatable.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:49 AM

Answers

• Even if the client isn't 64 bit,  you can still use the shares and remote functionality of home server.  You just won't get the little home icon, nor be able to back up your clients using single instance store.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Yes, any OS that can see SMB shares will be able to use the home server shares.  You can even use the shares with MAC, and Unix if you want.  The speed is only as fast as your network and hard drives.  My machines are all connected with gigabit ethernet and I have 3x500 SATA II drives, the thing screams as far as copy speed goes. 

Friday, March 2, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Yes that is correct you won't get backup. The reason for that is because of the way that backup is implemented in 64 bit os versions the 32 bit connector and backup component can not function. There hopefully will be a 64 bit version of the connector but MS has not given any offical word regarding that.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:57 AM

All replies

• Currently there is no connector for 64 bit. MS has not said when they will be making a 64 bit connector and there won't be a 64 bit version of the server.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:54 AM
  • Even if the client isn't 64 bit,  you can still use the shares and remote functionality of home server.  You just won't get the little home icon, nor be able to back up your clients using single instance store.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Are you saying my 64 systems will see home server and be able use the share folders on home server. Just no backup? Also worried about speed i use canon raw cr2 files and it is important the I get fast tranfers of 13-16 mb files on the fly.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Yes, any OS that can see SMB shares will be able to use the home server shares.  You can even use the shares with MAC, and Unix if you want.  The speed is only as fast as your network and hard drives.  My machines are all connected with gigabit ethernet and I have 3x500 SATA II drives, the thing screams as far as copy speed goes. 

Friday, March 2, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Yes that is correct you won't get backup. The reason for that is because of the way that backup is implemented in 64 bit os versions the 32 bit connector and backup component can not function. There hopefully will be a 64 bit version of the connector but MS has not given any offical word regarding that.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:57 AM
  • well, backup wont be a problem if retrosptect is supported ???would like to make the plunge as server 2003 or the up and coming longhorn server is over kill for my 3 -5 pc network and future home theater. I just want a dead head that will serve my 64 clients and future home theater with out alot of cash and hassle.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 5:51 AM
  • Well, at least that's half a loaf.

I created a user account for my Vista Ultimate x64 on the Home Server and now I can at least access the files there.

Not nearly as good as having a client on the x64 machine but at least now I have access to the hard drive space I installed on the server.

Better.  Not great.

Friday, March 2, 2007 3:33 PM
  • I do hope that Microsoft thinks about this and addresses it. As I noted on the connect site, many ISV's are not wanting to support 64 bit Vista. I know they have too much to do as it is, but hey the future (no the present) calls. If Microsoft is seen as one of those that just can't support a move to 64 bit well then why can't others say ...not even Microsoft supports it......

This would apply just as well to the one care team!

Saturday, March 3, 2007 10:42 PM
  • You know, I just have to vent for a minute..  Do the different "teams" at Microsoft ever talk to each other?  I wanted 4GB + of RAM on my system, so I bought Vista 64bit.  Cool, I like it.  I then go out and but OneCare and guess what?  Doesn't install on 64 bit Vista.  Does it say so on the box?  No.  Can I return my software?  No.  Then I am excited about WHS beta.  Check the system requirements, doesn't say anything about needing 32-bit, cool.  Install on my server, get it up and running, go to install on my workstation, no go.  64-bit not supported!  I am really getting frustrated here.  I could understand if this was non-Microsoft products, but come on.  Do they not talk to each other?  64-bit Windows XP has been out for like 2 years now I think.  To me it is in-excusable to release software and NOT put in the system requirements that 64-bit is not supported (especially in the case of OneCare since I purchased it).  I understand this is a beta, and I really, really hope they make a 64-bit connector.  In a couple years most new systems will most likely be 64-bit VISTA because of the RAM limitations of 32-bit.

Sorry, to rant, but I am so frustrated with this.  I really like the WHS product from what I have played around with.  And I can manually do my backups, browse the shares, etc.  But why do I get penalized for running a 64-bit OS?

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Oh no!

I am another person with a new vista 64bit computer.... and no support. WHaaaaat?

Lucky I have a work notebook to get the server going... but this isn't quite like what I expected. Looks useful, but if I can't backup my main pc, utility drops off drastically. Sad.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:22 AM
  • I could not agree more.  I have tried a couple of times to run X64, but everytime I try, something comes up to force me bad.

First I can not get a X64 VPN.  And now, I can not use WHS with x64 clients for backup.  What comes first, the chicken or egg?

I have machines with over 4gig of memory, which is a total waste at the moment.

Dave

Monday, March 19, 2007 8:11 PM
  • Same here :'( and the best part is my WHS Console stopped working all together :C
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:15 PM