Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

• Do I need Windows Defender if I have One Care installed?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:03 PM

Answers

• When you install One Care it will disable Windows Defender so there is no action you need to take.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:22 PM

All replies

• When you install One Care it will disable Windows Defender so there is no action you need to take.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Respectfully that doesn't answer DBK in VA's question.  I'm following up on it as I had the same question.  Does Defender provide any protection OneCare doesn't.  Seems to me reading some old notes on this site OneCare might be providing protection through Defender - is this true?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Defender does not provide any protection that One Care does not and One Care does not depend on anything in Defender which is why One Care disables Defender on installation.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Did you read the post at the top of this same forum?

Explaining the OneCare and Defender relationship - OneCare Team Blog Post 1/12/07
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-spyware/thread/61d617b8-f67a-4ba8-8b5e-de08111d766e

Though there are minor differences in the interface, including the removal of the Startup controls and replacement with a more automated version, the core components underneath are basically the same.  Though Jim gave a short version in his response the answer is basically the same, unless you're a control freak and wish to manually control everything there's really no reason to even care about this.

If you are a 'knob turner' I really doubt that you'll be happy with OneCare, since it's designed for the 'set it and forget it' crowd, with very few controls ansd most things automated.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:58 PM
  • That is the article I read & referenced in my earlier post.

I am not a "knob turner".  While I'm closer to a set it up and forget about it type, I do want to know I'm getting the protection I thought I bought.   JimR1's response replied I do so I'm now good.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:05 PM