"Unused desktop icons" message displaying RRS feed

• Question

•  

We just deployed 100 machines with steady state installed.  There are 2 accounts that prevent the user from making permanent changes.  Unfortunately, the desktop cleanup wizard was not disabled and the PCs have been shipped.  Now, the popup stating there are unused icons on your desktop continuously appears and we are unable to find a way to prevent it. 

Any help on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, January 12, 2009 9:54 PM

Answers

• Thanks Sean.  I should have mentioned I already knew that.  My largest concern is getting the fix to the computers that have been sent.  I think I have it fixed with an install file doing a runas in administrator mode that adds the registry entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoDesktopCleanupWizard"=dword:00000001

The local user did not persist with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\CleanupWiz

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:20 AM

All replies

•  

Hi PNIKOLAJ, you can follow the steps in the following article to disable the wizard:

HOW TO: Disable the Automatic Desktop Cleanup Feature in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320154

Also, you can edit registry to disable it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\CleanupWiz

Modify or create REG_DWORD with name NoRun. Set the value to 1 to disable the wizard.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Thanks Sean.  I should have mentioned I already knew that.  My largest concern is getting the fix to the computers that have been sent.  I think I have it fixed with an install file doing a runas in administrator mode that adds the registry entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoDesktopCleanupWizard"=dword:00000001

The local user did not persist with

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:20 AM