computertraining.com Legit or not RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering I have read some negative post about Computertraining.com Certification and wanted to verify if this was a good training center to go to. They claim that when you finish the 24 week class you will receive certification as a MCTS, MCP and MCSA.  
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:56 PM

Answers

• How much are they asking? And what do you get for your money?

Just out of curiousity, have you Googled them? I quick searched revealed a few not-so-nice reviews. But I digress. How much for the 24 week class?
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    • Marked as answer by Dark Hailstorm Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:49 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:38 AM
  • The decision is yours and yours alone, As Michael said he has heard some less than stellar reviews and you have heard a bit of both. After quickly looking over their website I was unable to find out if they are a Microsoft Certified partner such has New Horizons, that might be something that affects your decision.

To me, I wouldn't do it, 28,000 is a lot of money, but I guess your company will reimburse you so that’s not that bad.

I would be a little skeptical of the job placement for life and really you are paying 28,000 for your MCSA which is just 4 exams. The MCP and MCTS come when you pass one of the old exams and one of the new exams. So if your track was laid out like this:

70-271 Windows XP Pro (This will give you MCP)

70-290 Server 2003 (This will also give you MCP)

70-620 Vista (used as an elective option, this gives you MCTS)

70-291 Windows networking (This along with successfully passing the other 3 exams will give you your MCSA)

If you have a lot of experience in these areas you could get by with just self study so all it would cost you is the price of the exams ($125 each) and any material you wish to purchase.

If you do not have that much experience than maybe you want to go with the course. But if you do not have much experience you will have trouble finding a job even if you pass because most companies care more about experience than Certifications.

But ultimately the decision is yours.

Hope this helps.

Eric
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:50 PM

All replies

• How much are they asking? And what do you get for your money?

Just out of curiousity, have you Googled them? I quick searched revealed a few not-so-nice reviews. But I digress. How much for the 24 week class?
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    • Marked as answer by Dark Hailstorm Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:49 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:38 AM
  • It is $28,000 for 24 week course. For that price all books, lab fees, tuition, and test fees are covered. My company provides a 100% tuition reimbursment so the money is an issue. They state that at the end of the 24 weeks and with passing test, you will be certified in MCTS, MCP, and MCSA. They also provide job placement for life, so they claim. Thanks
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:06 AM
  • I have read both good and bad about them, could someone please help me out here. I am supposed to enroll today.

I did find this today, http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/SearchResult.aspx?6d6f64653d5365617263684279496e737469747574696f6e267264743d312f32302f3230303920353a33343a313120504d

They are an accredited leanring center.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:35 PM
  • The decision is yours and yours alone, As Michael said he has heard some less than stellar reviews and you have heard a bit of both. After quickly looking over their website I was unable to find out if they are a Microsoft Certified partner such has New Horizons, that might be something that affects your decision.

To me, I wouldn't do it, 28,000 is a lot of money, but I guess your company will reimburse you so that’s not that bad.

I would be a little skeptical of the job placement for life and really you are paying 28,000 for your MCSA which is just 4 exams. The MCP and MCTS come when you pass one of the old exams and one of the new exams. So if your track was laid out like this:

70-271 Windows XP Pro (This will give you MCP)

70-290 Server 2003 (This will also give you MCP)

70-620 Vista (used as an elective option, this gives you MCTS)

70-291 Windows networking (This along with successfully passing the other 3 exams will give you your MCSA)

If you have a lot of experience in these areas you could get by with just self study so all it would cost you is the price of the exams ($125 each) and any material you wish to purchase.

If you do not have that much experience than maybe you want to go with the course. But if you do not have much experience you will have trouble finding a job even if you pass because most companies care more about experience than Certifications.

But ultimately the decision is yours.

Hope this helps.

Eric
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:50 PM
  • So for $500.00 est. I could self study and take those four exams and end up with the same certification as going to the school, Right? Thanks
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:03 PM
  • I have gone to the orientation and they are a microsoft certified program.  The 24 week program is only 22k seeing as they pay for 6k of it.  They are a really nice place with 15 campus's nationwide and expanding as we speak.  With only 1200 people as it professional's they only hire them with a degree from microsoft.  As I said B4 they are a nice program and wonderful place.  I am actually applying for the loans to go to it as we speak.  So if you think that this is not the place for you then that is fine.  Also another thing... the reason that it is only 6 months is that they are not a federal based college, they are sort of a private school, and with the job placement yes it is for as long as you have your certifications, and that is for life.  So as I said before if you think this is not the place for you then dont go simple as that it is always your choice. Well good luck on your choice and I hope you look into them a bit more before you judge them.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:28 AM
  • "only 22k"?  To earn a MCSA?  Yikes!  You could self-study for a LOT less using Microsoft's books along with either CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal videos.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:15 PM
    Answerer