Client backup fails - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having this issue for about 40 days. Let me describe it here.

Client:

- Lenovo Laptop

- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

- Automatic/manual backup worked well until May 1st, 2011. From then back up always fails for 2 partitions of the promary drive. One partitio nis about 72G and another is about 166G

- The second drive  also has two partitions and those are still backed up OK

- Message shown on the 'Backup details' of 'View Backups' when right click 'View backups' on Windows Home Server Console

For one partition: The backup server failed.

For another partition: No failure occured or no reason for the failure was reported.

- From envet viewer of the client WIndows 7, following error message was seen

Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoFileRecordPass()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

What could be the reason for this? Anyone had same experience?

By the way, I have updated WHS with recent fixes and updates.

Thanks!  

Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:05 PM

Answers

• JUst reply with the result. This can be considered to be ficed. I deleted whole backup database and now the backup works well. There must be something in the database that provent the backup from complete.
    • Marked as answer by Dcdyd Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:56 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Could be a problem with the disk or file system.
    Try running "chkdsk c: /x /r" from the command prompt (you wil need administartive access):

* Click the start button and type "cmd"
    * Rightclick "cmd.exe" and select "run as administrator"
    * In the command window, type "chkdsk c: /x  /r<enter>"
    * You wil be asked to schedule for the next boot (choose "Yes") and reboot the client.

Checking your disk may take a long time, so prepare for doing other things...
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I performed chkdsk and it doesn;t change anything. INteresting is that everything worked fine until May 1st. I don't know what changed, the server or the client. I have 5 other clients running Windows7 x86 and those are backed up fine.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Idea from anyone else?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:56 PM
  • JUst reply with the result. This can be considered to be ficed. I deleted whole backup database and now the backup works well. There must be something in the database that provent the backup from complete.
    • Marked as answer by Dcdyd Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:56 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:55 AM