Updating CRM 4.0 to rollup 18 RRS feed

• Question

• I am putting together a plan to update our CRM 4.0 to Rollup 18; It is currently at rollup 9. I understand that I need to back-up the DB and for rollup 18, it also has to already be at rollup 7 or higher so there is no problems that. Can anybody give me any precautions or advice about a back-out plan in case the update is in some way unsuccessful? There are multiple files with the update and there also seems to be a lack of documentation on which file to run first or if they need to be ran in a certain order. Do I need to shut down the CRM services? Is it an absolute necessity that I install the language pack before running the update since we are only using English USA?

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:51 PM

Answers

• The following is my advice, I would recommend you follow Microsoft’s official guidance contained in the Dynamics CRM implementation guide;

I have installed every rollup for Dynamics CRM 4.0 with no issues at all, However if you cannot have any downtime or risks at all then I highly recommend applying the rollup to a development system first to check that no customisations break.

The bare minimum for me is the following

BACKUP all _MSCRM and _CONFIG databases

Backup the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM (mainly for the web.config settings)

Export a copy of all the customisations

My Rollback plan usually involves using the Uninstall feature first.

If there was ever a complete disaster (never happened to me yet), I would re-install / re - import the organisation using the backup i took of the organisation database.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Friday, August 26, 2011 1:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:03 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:20 PM

All replies

• The following is my advice, I would recommend you follow Microsoft’s official guidance contained in the Dynamics CRM implementation guide;

I have installed every rollup for Dynamics CRM 4.0 with no issues at all, However if you cannot have any downtime or risks at all then I highly recommend applying the rollup to a development system first to check that no customisations break.

The bare minimum for me is the following

BACKUP all _MSCRM and _CONFIG databases

Backup the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM (mainly for the web.config settings)

Export a copy of all the customisations

My Rollback plan usually involves using the Uninstall feature first.

If there was ever a complete disaster (never happened to me yet), I would re-install / re - import the organisation using the backup i took of the organisation database.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Friday, August 26, 2011 1:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:03 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:20 PM
  • You might want to roll up to rollup 19, now that it's out.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:20 PM