Can WHS be used as a print server? And how? RRS feed

• Question

• On another forum I saw it stated that WHS can be used as a print server?  How would this work please?

Mel
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:26 AM

Answers

• Basically, just like you would setup any PC as a print server..

First, verify that the "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service is installed for your primary network adapter..

Install the printer on the WHS, and verify that it prints, then share the printer.
    [Right-click on the Printer Icon, and click on Sharing](hint: use a short, easy to remember name for the share)

Next, go to a client PC, and open My Network Places > Entire Network > "workgroup_name" > WHS_Server_name, and you should see an printer icon labeled with the share name you created when making the printer share.

All Windows based PC's should have "File and Print Sharing" installed and enabled..

To use the printer from any of the client PC's, open the "Add Printer" wizard, when asked to choose "Local" or Network", chose "Network", click "Next", then either browse for the share, or type the URL ( \\WHS_server_name\printer_share_name ), then click "Next".

The wizard then attempts to connect to the shared printer, and if successful, may ask for printer driver, if the drivers on the WHS are incompatible. If unsuccessful, it will tell you it could not connect..

This process differs between different OS's, so you may want to google for installing under a specific OS..

hth
    • Marked as answer by Mel P Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:34 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:31 PM
  • On another forum I saw it stated that WHS can be used as a print server?  How would this work please?

Mel

Setting up WHS as a print server is unsupported (since it requires server desktop access).  In addition, most SOHO printers don't come with Server 2003 drivers so you might have issues getting it installed on your server.  However, if you want to do it anyway (and can find the correct drivers for it), tjtechster's answer should get you up and running.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:26 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:25 PM

All replies

• Basically, just like you would setup any PC as a print server..

First, verify that the "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service is installed for your primary network adapter..

Install the printer on the WHS, and verify that it prints, then share the printer.
    [Right-click on the Printer Icon, and click on Sharing](hint: use a short, easy to remember name for the share)

Next, go to a client PC, and open My Network Places > Entire Network > "workgroup_name" > WHS_Server_name, and you should see an printer icon labeled with the share name you created when making the printer share.

All Windows based PC's should have "File and Print Sharing" installed and enabled..

To use the printer from any of the client PC's, open the "Add Printer" wizard, when asked to choose "Local" or Network", chose "Network", click "Next", then either browse for the share, or type the URL ( \\WHS_server_name\printer_share_name ), then click "Next".

The wizard then attempts to connect to the shared printer, and if successful, may ask for printer driver, if the drivers on the WHS are incompatible. If unsuccessful, it will tell you it could not connect..

This process differs between different OS's, so you may want to google for installing under a specific OS..

hth
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:31 PM

Mel

Setting up WHS as a print server is unsupported (since it requires server desktop access).  In addition, most SOHO printers don't come with Server 2003 drivers so you might have issues getting it installed on your server.  However, if you want to do it anyway (and can find the correct drivers for it), tjtechster's answer should get you up and running.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:26 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Thanks - will give it a try when I need to re-organise my printers - after checking about drivers.  As my printers both have network connections there is probably no benefit as they are not heavily used and don't consume much processor power / time.

Mel
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Mel ,

Although it's just as easy to share networked printers on the server, it usually is a bigger hassle than it's worth, especially if there are issues that require access to the spooler.  Not putting aside what kariya21 said regarding support, I can say that I have 4 shared USB printers on my Home Server, and it has been very stable, and work great.. 

Lastly, this really pertains only to printers, not the MFP/AIO Printer/Scanner/Copier units, so prevalent today..
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 11:34 PM