WHS causes data loss on Win7 client deployed via sysprep/WAIK RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I set up a master computer with W7 Pro 64Bit and installed WHS Connector onto it. Afterwards I sysprepped it with generalize and OOBE and deployed the image using WAIK onto two other computers. All three computers have valid licenses btw.
    Now the problem is that if I start the connector, all computers are identified as a single device, regardless of the device name. The same issue happens with Windows Live Mesh. Note: All sids are different on the three computers, so it's not the sid causing it.

Question: how to solve this issue?

Andreas
    MSP, MCP, MCITP
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:25 PM

All replies

• Cloning of clients with Connector is not supported, since the unique WHS related identifiers are stored on a point in the registry, which is not touched by Sysprep.
    And since WHS is mainly for home environments, in which deployment tools like sysprep are rarely used, I see no changes happen to this.
    So you should consider to prepare a master image without the Connector software installed.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Cloning of clients with Connector is not supported, since the unique WHS related identifiers are stored on a point in the registry, which is not touched by Sysprep.
    And since WHS is mainly for home environments, in which deployment tools like sysprep are rarely used, I see no changes happen to this.
    So you should consider to prepare a master image without the Connector software installed.
    Olaf

Hello Olaf,
    thanks for the answer. Unfortunately reinstalling the whole master pc is not an option as it took me a whole week to get all the software to run (ever tried installing Lotus Notes 5 onto Windows7 when your hardware does not allow virtualization? ;))

You don't know the registry key I need to delete/get rid off, right? As Live Mesh is also affected I guess it's not one of those keys stored in the WHS path.

If you do know it please don't hesitate. I am a MCITP for Windows Vista in home and business environements and a MSP. I do actually know what happens if I press STRG+A and DEL in regedit ;)

Greetings,
    Andreas
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Hi Andreas,
    in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server on the client you find a few "Unique" IDs (like a GUID in Transport or a Unique_Install_ID). I don't know which ID is for what, but I can imagine, that it is not possible to adjust them manually to something matching a counterpart on WHS.
    I would recommend, trying to remove the entire key, delete the master machine from the WHS console (only if you never want to restore that one, but I assume, you have a wim image) and see, if you can reinstall the Connector software later. I know that you can add stuff to a wim file, but removal may be more difficult. Ok, you will find the folder in c:\Program Files and you may also find the related keys in the registry for install/uninstall and the related msi file and remove them. That all together should be sufficient, if the first step is not enough.
    Olaf
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:49 PM