none
CompTIA A+ Certification: Am I wasting my time? Are PC's a dying breed? Is there anyone out there? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm studying the 8th Edition Exam Guide for Comp TIA A+ Certification, which I planned on taking in early February, 2015. I have decades of experience with PC's, several years experience with small business networking, as well as hardware troubleshooting, internet security and some minimal programming experience. Today I received a call-back from the proprietor at PC-TECH, Waco. I called him to inquire about an unpaid internship, just to get some verifiable experience and to get a good, recent work-reference. This guy said he was barely hanging on to the business he has, that all his competitors are winding down service for PC's, are all switching everything over to Mobile Devices, or are/already have going/gone out of business... and that I "missed the boat by several years", if I'm wanting to get certified to work on PC's. According to this gentleman, the only use for CompTIA is their networking, cloud & security training-packages and that A+ is a soon to be relic of the past. I know that mobile-devices are obviously the trend looking forward, to a large extent, but will PC's effectively be eliminated in the near future, making my current career aspirations equivalent to one who works at an antique store?

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:29 PM

All replies

• I haven't been in the IT industry long, just about two years now. I was working on my A+ when I interviewed and was hired here and I cot certified before I started. I also have a Network+ certification, which I got this past fall.

It may not be a big deal in the smaller mom and pop shops dealing with consumer electronics but, in my experience, it is something that business IT looks for. One, it shows that you have some sense of what you're doing when it comes to basic computer repair. I've had to deal with all kinds of basic hardware issues, and I feel like I am better able to address issues that I likely wouldn't have noticed before but I do now because I spent all of that time poring over that damn test. 

Just my two cents, of course...

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:54 PM
  • I have to agree with Danny on this one. It's not like the certifications are not updated they do. That's what makes the industry dynamic. I mean i have all these certifications from the past but that doesn't mean they don't mean anything. You have to start sometime and keep up to date that's for sure. You and only you can decide if there is value from that certification. Effort put into getting certified pays of believe me.

Maurice

Friday, January 9, 2015 11:41 PM