Low disk space on c: RRS feed

• Question

• So this is a strange problem.  I have been using RC1 now for about 2 months.  I Remoted into the server to just check in on things and I got a warning that I didn't have any space on my 'c:'.  I looked at 'My computer' and sure enough 0kb of free space.  I restarted the server, and I still had the same message.  I tried to run disk clean up, but it needed some space so I had to go and find any temp files I had a few so I could clear a mb or two.  I ran disk clean up and found 0.5 gb of debug files and a few more mb if I compress.  I'm currently doing that.  I also deleted all internet files (but I haven't been browesing on the server) just to see if that would help.  I only have the Whiist and the webguide plug-in's installed.  With that I have only made two picture web sites and a log on for webguide.  Any ideas on why I don't have any space on 'c:'?
    Thanks for your help. 

Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:58 PM

Answers

• Take a look here:

Code Snippet

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

If that's full of w3wp log files, then you may have to follow the steps in this post. Though I thought that was fixed in RC1...
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:14 PM

All replies

• Take a look here:

Code Snippet

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

If that's full of w3wp log files, then you may have to follow the steps in this post. Though I thought that was fixed in RC1...
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Ken,
    You never cease to amaze me about how much you know about WHS.  There is 15.5 gb in that folder. In particular one file 'qsm.082607.log' is 16,287,325 kb!  I tried to go to the link on your reply, but it says that the tread doesn't exist anymore.  Would you post the link again, or can I just delete the file?
    thanks you.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Before you remove that (or any) file, let's wait til the WHS team has had a chance to see your question (which I'm moving to the Software forum). They may want to lay their hands on that file. I apologize if that leaves you with a broken server for a day or so. If they haven't asked by Tuesday, I'd say go ahead and remove that file, then restart the server.

As for the link, I didn't notice that it was to a deleted post. Sorry. Smile Here's the content of the post (from Joel):
    • Remote Desktop into Windows Home Server by:
      • On your Home computer, click start --> run
      • In run type "MSTSC"
      • When that opens type your server name in there, by default, it's "server" and click connect
      • When asked for username and password, username is "administrator" and the password is what you use in the console. Click ok
      • Click yes for the certificate error
    • Once viewing the Windows Home Server desktop:
      • Right click the task bar and click "task manager"
      • In the task manager click the Processes Tab
      • If w3wp.exe is running, right click it and click end process and close the task manager
      • Click start --> then my computer and navigate to "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs"
      • Delete any logs that start with w3wp for example "w3wp.xxxx.xxxxx.xxx.log"
      • Navigate to "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server"
      • Right click "Logs" folder and click sharing and security.
      • Click the security tab, click "NETWORK SERVICE" then check the modify under allow (Give network service modify rights)
      • Click OK
      • Reboot Server
    You probably won't have to do most of this. I think it will be safe to just delete the file, then restart the server.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:10 PM
  • The QSM log file issue, should be fixed in the RTM release.

I believe the Remote Access issue was fixed long before RC. I'm going to contact the team, and get some clarification.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue, though with a recently purchased HP MediaSmart EX470 server.

I noticed today the when I RDP'd into the server, there was a disk space warning.

Sure enough, 0MB out of 20GB available.

Came across this post and saw the directory wher the cuplrit was, but by a different file name

chkdsk_C_.log

This is over 15GB in size.

Do not know what it is so I did not want to delete it.

Any ideas?
    Friday, September 5, 2008 2:35 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue, though with a recently purchased HP MediaSmart EX470 server.

I noticed today the when I RDP'd into the server, there was a disk space warning.

Came across this post and saw the directory wher the cuplrit was, but by a different file name

chkdsk_C_.log

Any ideas?
    Friday, September 5, 2008 2:35 AM

chkdsk_C_.log

Any ideas?
    Friday, September 5, 2008 2:36 AM
  • Delete it. If it comes back at anything like it's current size, it indicates a possible problem which we can deal with then.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:16 AM
  • I am having the same low disk space problem.  However, on my machine, the culprit is a file named "SystemIndex.Ntfy13044.gthr" found in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex

Anybody have any recommendations?  Is it safe for me to delete this large file?  Thanks!
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I don't know if its safe to delete. My guess is that its the index file used for the Desktop Search. If you don't really use this feature, you maybe can try removing which directories are indexed.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Daboodah said:

I am having the same low disk space problem.  However, on my machine, the culprit is a file named "SystemIndex.Ntfy13044.gthr" found in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex

Anybody have any recommendations?  Is it safe for me to delete this large file?  Thanks!

I believe Evaders99 is correct.  I also believe its for Desktop Search.  I don't know if you can safely delete it or not, however, I do know that if you don't use the Search function on your WHS Remote Access web site, you don't need to use Desktop Search.  FYI, I checked mine and its 62 KB.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:39 AM
  • Hello, In My case had the same problem in a Server 2003. The file Systemsindex.XXX.gthr was growing up to high. My solution was simple. I stop the service called Microsoft Search, assign to Manual configuration and reboot the server. This procedure reduce the file and never fill it again.

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Hello, In My case had the same problem in a Server 2003. The file Systemsindex.XXX.gthr was growing up to high. My solution was simple. I stop the service called Microsoft Search, assign to Manual configuration and reboot the server. This procedure reduce the file and never fill it again.

Not a solution if you want Search capabilities.
    --
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:18 PM