Lost 4G's of HD after Defrag RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, the Defrag portion of Tune-Up began reporting it was unable to complete defrag due to severe defragmentation.  I defragged HD three separate times, then Tune-up was able to complete all actions.  In the process, I now have four less G's of HD space.  I checked System Restore and it is only presently using 7 G's.  Has anyone heard of such an occurrence?  Or, is there anyway to fix?

Thank you in advance,

Jo Ellen

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:22 AM

Answers

• Hi, Jo Ellen. No, I haven't heard of losing 4 gigs to a defrag, but there could be any number of reasons for this. It could be a growing swap file, it could be the arrangement of the clusters on the disk and they way the free space/used space is counted based on the new arrangement of the clusters after the defrag, or it could be Volume Shadow Copy images if you are running a Vista version that uses VSS, for example.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:47 AM
  • No problems on taking time to reply, Jo Ellen. :-)

I wouldn't try to "repair" any of the items I mentioned as they were really ideas as to where your space may have gone. I think the most likely cause of the space being used is the Volume Shadow Copy. It can eat lots of space if you have lots of changes to files. I have one PC that can eat up the majority of free space on a data volume for this very reason. I haven't looked up the process for limiting space for VSS, but there is a way to do this. With 80 of 120 gigs free, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Take care,

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi, Jo Ellen. No, I haven't heard of losing 4 gigs to a defrag, but there could be any number of reasons for this. It could be a growing swap file, it could be the arrangement of the clusters on the disk and they way the free space/used space is counted based on the new arrangement of the clusters after the defrag, or it could be Volume Shadow Copy images if you are running a Vista version that uses VSS, for example.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:47 AM
  • Dear Steve,

THANK YOU so much for responding.  Please accept my apologies for being late.  I am running Home Vista Premium on a new 120 GB, HP Pavillion.   When I received this machine, it only had 76 gigs free.  HP would not help me.  So, I deleted every single superfluous advertisement., etc., bought Vista HP, re-installed, reduced System Restore to 10gigs using VSS command, etc..  I then had 88+ gigs and was happily going along until the defrag problem.  I think you are right about "volume shadow copy" issue.  Do you know how I could fix any of the things you mentioned?

Again, thank you so much.  Jo Ellen

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:30 AM
  • No problems on taking time to reply, Jo Ellen. :-)

I wouldn't try to "repair" any of the items I mentioned as they were really ideas as to where your space may have gone. I think the most likely cause of the space being used is the Volume Shadow Copy. It can eat lots of space if you have lots of changes to files. I have one PC that can eat up the majority of free space on a data volume for this very reason. I haven't looked up the process for limiting space for VSS, but there is a way to do this. With 80 of 120 gigs free, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Take care,

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:45 PM
  • Jo Ellen; Chasing simular problem, not exactly as you experienced.  What was your first indication there was a problem? Lloyd

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:02 PM