WHS recognizing multiple raid arrays RRS feed

• Question

• Basically what my problem is that I just bought a new rackmount system 12x2TB setup in Raid 5 after getting this to work on WHS 2003 I can't get WHS to recognize my orignial 6x2TB mirrored array. I am stuck! All of my files are on the original array and I was hoping you guys could help me figure out how I would be able to make WHS recognize everything.  I appreciate any help in advance!  Thanks!

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:06 PM

All replies

• Psst.. did you know raid is NOT supported on WHS? So it seems rather eXPected what you see.

"Ddocouto" wrote in message news:d31766da-1147-4902-81a7-0d3e80e584ef@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Basically what my problem is that I just bought a new rackmount system 12x2TB setup in Raid 5 after getting this to work on WHS 2003 I can't get WHS to recognize my orignial 6x2TB mirrored array. I am stuck! All of my files are on the original array and I was hoping you guys could help me figure out how I would be able to make WHS recognize everything. I appreciate any help in advance! Thanks!

Have a nice day!
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:44 PM
  • You can try a server recovery. That's not guaranteed to work; you will need to have the right drivers (Windows Server 2003 x86), and install them at the right times, for Windows Home Server setup to see and integrate your RAID array during recovery. Failing that, bring your current server back up on the original hardware, do a new installation on the new hardware, and copy from share to share.

Also, Leen is correct: RAID isn't a supported storage platform so your choice of RAID HBA, configuration of it, etc. will determine how easily you'll get everything working again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Maybe I should have added that both of my raid's have seperate controller cards, does this make any difference? lol

Friday, July 23, 2010 5:09 PM
  • But it still is Raid.

does this make any difference?

No.

"Ddocouto" wrote in message news:58c607e3-5431-4044-b5fb-c128ed658fcc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Maybe I should have added that both of my raid's have seperate controller cards, does this make any difference? lol

Have a nice day!
    Friday, July 23, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I just read this and though, Hmmmmm. I would recommend that you use a raid controller that has an actual channel for each drive and not use multiplers to share channels. I do not have 12 drives to plug in but I can test multiple arrays. So I just installed WHS on an AMD Dual core, 4 gig ram, and a Dell Perc 4 U320 SCSI card. Then I dug out 4 146gig scsi drives and made them a raid 5 and loaded on WHS. Everything installed fine and after it was done I added a Windows 7 workstation to it. The WHS installation even saw the Perc controller plus the raid and I did not have to install drivers. I then added an Adaptec 5805 Raid card and 2 WD 1tb sata hard drives. After installing the drivers for the Adaptec, both raid arrays are visable in WHS. So in this senerio, my root partition is nested within a raid 5 and my additional storage is within a Raid 1. Hard drives are cheap, you bought the server to backup your stuff. Shouldn't you spend enough to make sure your server will survive a drive failure. Raid I believe is discouraged because of the support headache Microsoft would encounter with all the different setups. But if you are willing to support your own WHS you can be amazed with what its limits are not. I do not get in here very offten so if someone has a question, please go a head and pm me.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 3:43 AM
  • You want to "dig out a few more 146 gig drives and sell them"??? lol
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:33 AM