Adding new hard drive to HP Mediasmart Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have got a HP Mediasmart Server with 1TB currently in the machine. I believe the hard drives that come with are Seagate Barracuda drives.

I am considering adding another 1TB to the server. Question:

1) Is it ok for me add hard disk of a different brand to the server? e.g. adding a Western Digital Cavier 1TB SATA drive?
    2) Is it as easy as adding the drive into an available drive tray in the server? (I am not as technical so hoping process is as easy as plugging and playing).

Many thanks.
    Alex
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Both versions of the HP Server are quite happy to have new drives inserted whilst they are running, in fact, this is they way that HP recommend.
    However, under no circustances should you ever remove a drive from a live server without going through the Console and using the Remove Drive control.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Hi There--

I've had my MediaSmart for about a week now, and the hard disks are HOT swappable.  To add in a new drive, you're supposed to go in a row.  Bottom one is the system disk, and if you got the 475 then it came with a second drive above that.  So go to the lowest empty tray (ie the lowest one w/o a light), pull out that tray, and put the drive into that.

I find it difficult to do the final push that actually plugs the disk into the machine--it's useful to do it "hot" because you'll get feedback that you actually pushed the drive in far enough (if not its light remains dark).  THe light will be purple, and once you designate the drive as "added to the pool" it will change blue.

If you're not at all sure which bays are empty, you don't want to accidentally pull a drive out, then go ahead and power down.

You can remove the drives "hot", but you're supposed to tell the server to "remove" that drive first so that it can get data off of it first.  I don't know what happens if you don't do this properly and I don't want to find out.

Hope this is helpful.  It's my first post.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,
    you can use any SATA disk with your WHS, unless the hardware documentation states otherwise (and even then it usually works).
    The WD drives are perfect for the narrow system, since they produce less heat.
    After adding the drive to the tray and powering up the system you still need to add the disk to the storage pool using the Storage tab on the WHS console.
    There are also forums dedicated to the MediaSmart server like here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Alex,
    you can use any SATA disk with your WHS, unless the hardware documentation states otherwise (and even then it usually works).
    The WD drives are perfect for the narrow system, since they produce less heat.
    After adding the drive to the tray and powering up the system you still need to add the disk to the storage pool using the Storage tab on the WHS console.
    There are also forums dedicated to the MediaSmart server like here.
    Olaf

Wait these drives are not hot-swappable ??? I thought you could just plugin the drive into the system and it would show up in the console.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Hi,
    maybe they are - but since I don't have an HP Mediasmart at my hands, I go the save way with recommendations.
    More in your manual :-)
    Olaf

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Hello Alex and Dear Chap,

As far as I know, the hard drives of the HP MSS is not hot swappable.....at least I've never tried it.  I always shut down my server prior to adding or removing a hard drive.

Allex
    1.  Yes, it is OK to have drives of a different brand in the server.

2.  Once the drive is physically added, then power up your server and open up the WHS Console.  The drive will automatically appear in the list of drives.  Now select the drive, click on "ADD" and then decide if you want to add the drive to the storage pool or to use it as a backup for the shares folders.

Note:  Adding the drive will delete all information currently on the hard drive.

I hope I was able to help.

SilkRod
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:40 AM
  • The way to answer the question is to read the HP MediaSmart Server documentation (which I don't have sitting in front of me, or I'd just quote from it). If the manual tells you to turn off the server before adding a drive, then the drives are not hot pluggable. I'm pretty sure they aren't hot swappable, though; that would involve being able to remove a drive from an operating server, not just plugging one in.

For me, I always shut the server down before plugging/unplugging. It's not like it's a real hassle. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Hi There--

I've had my MediaSmart for about a week now, and the hard disks are HOT swappable.  To add in a new drive, you're supposed to go in a row.  Bottom one is the system disk, and if you got the 475 then it came with a second drive above that.  So go to the lowest empty tray (ie the lowest one w/o a light), pull out that tray, and put the drive into that.

I find it difficult to do the final push that actually plugs the disk into the machine--it's useful to do it "hot" because you'll get feedback that you actually pushed the drive in far enough (if not its light remains dark).  THe light will be purple, and once you designate the drive as "added to the pool" it will change blue.

If you're not at all sure which bays are empty, you don't want to accidentally pull a drive out, then go ahead and power down.

You can remove the drives "hot", but you're supposed to tell the server to "remove" that drive first so that it can get data off of it first.  I don't know what happens if you don't do this properly and I don't want to find out.

Hope this is helpful.  It's my first post.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

Both versions of the HP Server are quite happy to have new drives inserted whilst they are running, in fact, this is they way that HP recommend.
    However, under no circustances should you ever remove a drive from a live server without going through the Console and using the Remove Drive control.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Using Acer Aspire easyStore 340:
    On a reboot or cold boot, after I added an additional disk, the server will not start unless I remove the disk.
    So, I pop it out and slide it in after the system has booted up.
    Any ideas as to why this would be happening?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Using Acer Aspire easyStore 340:
    On a reboot or cold boot, after I added an additional disk, the server will not start unless I remove the disk.
    So, I pop it out and slide it in after the system has booted up.
    Any ideas as to why this would be happening?

The only thing I can think of is your primary drive isn't plugged into the first SATA port on the mobo.  However, since the box is closed (and I doubt you can see the mobo without cracking it open which would probably void your warranty), my suggestion is to call Acer support.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:13 AM
  • hmm, I'll give that a shot and report back

Thanks,
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:33 AM
  • well, I haven't called Acer yet, but I did swap the drives around the drive bay and whenever I have both drives plugged in, the server will not boot.  I have to remove the second drive in order to boot the server.  I even reformated the second drive, did not add it as a second drive in the "Server Storage" manager, still no dice.  It seems that the systems wants to boot off of the second drive if it is plugged in th drive bay, no matter what.  This is annoying.  I'll break down and call Acer in the next few days unless someone has more advice.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:01 AM
  • I eventually did call Acer and they did not have any solution.  I ended up taking the second drive out and plugged it into another PC.  The brand new drive was actually bad.  SO, I purchased another one and all of my issues are resolved.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:17 PM