Backup from another computer RRS feed

• General discussion

• My computer crashed.  I had backed it up to an external hard drive.  Now I'm trying to restore my files from that hard drive to my new computer.

I opened custom backup, took the second option, to restore from another machine.  The list of available backup devises DOES NOT include the hard drive where I backed everything up.  My computer recognizes it, only OneCare doesn't.

I tried a different hard drive, OneCare recognizes that.  I tried safely disconnecting and then reconnecting the hard drive I need, that didn't work.  I tried restarting.  That doesn't work.

I NEED my thesis.  It's locked on the hard drive that OneCare doesn\t recognize.

HELP ME
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:08 AM

All replies

• Before you try to restore your files open One Care and configure backup. Does One Care detect your detect your external drive when you configure backup? If One Care detects your external drive after configuring backup, try to restore your files.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I did configure backup, it still won't recognize the hard drive.

Now it lists my last computer as a restore option but says it can't reach it.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:36 AM
  • It could be a permissions issue. Navigate to the One Care Backups folder on the external drive, open the security tab and grant your user name full control.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:45 AM
  • I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with a onecase tech person, he manually restored my files, and they've finished extracting, but they aren't in any format that I can open.  When they were extracting, I could see the names of my files, but none of them are on the lists.

Please help me!
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:35 AM
  • What locations were the files restored to and what format are they in that you cannot open? It might be best to contact support again for help with this.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:24 PM