none
spreadsheet for visual studio RRS feed

• Question

• checking if its possible to create a spreadsheet for visual studio so that it can be easy to add, subtract and devide cells rather than columns only.
    • Moved by Stanly Fan Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:58 AM not winform related
    Saturday, September 22, 2018 3:57 AM

All replies

• Depending (high level)

• Complexity of the task
    • Desktop or server based
    • Your knowledge of working with Excel.
    • Formatting of data e.g. a column has all numerics or a column has mixed types.

Basic choices are

• Excel automation (more so for desktop solutions)
    • Open XML (web based solutions)
    • Third party libraries e.g. SpreadSheetLight which is free and Open XML based, GemBox Excel are two and I've used both, there are others but can't recommend them as I've not used them other than Aspose Excel which is expensive.

No matter the choice/direction you should first have a handle on Excel e.g. WorkBooks, WorkSheets, Ranges and cells. Going with Excel automation will be the most challenging while libraries mentioned above much less of a challenge (or may be little effort depending on you ability to pick things up and run with them).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Sunday, September 23, 2018 3:23 AM