none
My Alerts slow to open page RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

About a month ago when opening 'My alerts' the page would open in less than five seconds. Now it take around 45-60 seconds to open.

I first noticed this on my work computer on IE then on Chrome. Next I tried opening 'My alerts' on my home computer (both IE and Chrome) which is a completely different location and Internet provider. Both environments and browsers exhibit the same behavior of taking a long time to open 'My alerts'.

Also please note that opening 'My Threads' or 'My forums' opens under five seconds so it's just 'My alerts' taking along time to open.

So I am wondering if this is something to do with my account or are others having the same issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:41 PM

Answers

• Okay, I spent time taking one page at a time starting from the last page of my alerts and removed alerts. No difference in time to open My Alerts until I dropped from 4018 to 3700, at this point I can open My Alerts in under five seconds which is about a 40 second increase in time. Thought others might like to know this :-)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• Mine opens in about 2 seconds.

I have 2905 alerts.

How many do you have?

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:03 PM
  • Was this a temporary server issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:20 PM
    Owner
  • I got several Internal Server Error today trying to access 'My Threads'. I don't seem to have problem with 'My Alerts' but I don't have too many.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Mine opens in about 2 seconds.

I have 2905 alerts.

How many do you have?

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Hello Karl,

I have 4018 alerts currently.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Here is something else that I learned, by going into compatibility mode on IE traversing to my alerts is about five seconds which is a huge improvement but this messes up CSS so I need to switch out of compatibility mode afterwards.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:43 PM
  • Kevin, this is still an issue for you?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:55 PM
    Owner
  • Kevin, this is still an issue for you?

Thanks!

Hello Ed,

I would say this is still an issue even thou my work-around is to use compatibility mode. I have to remember to use compatibility mode then once on the alert page displays toogle out of compatibiity mode so the CSS is properly applied.

Also I noticed this morning (I forget to use compatibilty mode) that the hang up is with Live.com as I noticed a message in IE status bar indicating it was waiting for Live.com.

Just tried using Chrome on another computer, got "Internal Server Error" on My alerts then did a refresh and My alerts came up. It took about 60 seconds for the error page to appear.

Now if this is a true oddity that has no seeable resolution I will call this resolved and use the work-around.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:30 AM
  • Okay, I spent time taking one page at a time starting from the last page of my alerts and removed alerts. No difference in time to open My Alerts until I dropped from 4018 to 3700, at this point I can open My Alerts in under five seconds which is about a 40 second increase in time. Thought others might like to know this :-)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:00 PM