How to remove Genuine Advantage message after booting up on XP? RRS feed

• Question

• I am not very happy being forced to see the Genuine Advantage message every time I boot up my XP machine.

I feel this was shoved down my throat.
    I don't have any pirated software, don't want to run the program and don't see any easy way to "opt out" so I won't
    see the message again.

Is there any EASY way to opt out or stop this message from appearing???
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:05 PM

Answers

• Bearsy,

Thank you for posting in our forum today. Did you receive the messaging then click okay to accept this? Anyway please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914.  This should help.

Thank you

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, May 4, 2009 11:50 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:52 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:50 PM

All replies

• Bearsy,

Thank you for posting in our forum today. Did you receive the messaging then click okay to accept this? Anyway please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914.  This should help.

Thank you

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, May 4, 2009 11:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:52 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Bearsy,

Va          Please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing witwith Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't both these answers give details of how to remove the software once installed?

What the OP (and me) would like, is to stop the constant nagging to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications software in the first place.
    Can anyone advise, please?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't both these answers give details of how to remove the software once installed?

What the OP (and me) would like, is to stop the constant nagging to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications software in the first place.
    Can anyone advise, please?
    I would also like to know the answer to this question. I have a perfectly legitimate Dell with XP pro. I have no desire to install any extra software which will be unable to be removed and regularly send information across the internet. Recently the install WGA notification has started appearing every time I boot. I would like to stop this as I refuse to install WGA. I see no advantage to me, a legitimate customer in doing this.

As an aside, If I don't install WGA, am I locked out of all but critical updates with automatic updates?

Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:24 AM
  • If you elect not to install WGA, then your computer will continue to install critical Microsoft updates automatically.
    However, you'll not be able to go directly to the Windows Update web site for updates unless you install the very tiny
    WGA file.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:53 PM
  • I don't think peoples concerns about wga are due to its size - I've had it freeze up other computers I've had that it's been installed on. It's also the issue of it becoming an unremovable part of your OS, that can be updated as MS see fit.

To get rid of that message on start-up, I clicked on next, and then declined the EULA. So far it hasn't re-appeared. Though whether it will in the future I'm not sure
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:57 AM
  • The last answers were helpful.

I guess I wasn't clear that I had not installed the software.
    I just wanted to get rid of the annoying message.

Inverbeg's method is how I believe I got the message to go away.

Thanks to Carey for clarifying that we would still receive critical Microsoft updates automatically.

Once again, a message to Microsoft, don't force software on us that is mostly for your benefit without
    at least providing an easy way to opt out.

When Carey responded that "you'll not be able to go directly to the Windows Update web site for updates unless you install the very tiny WGA file", it felt like Microsoft is holding a gun to your head forcing you to accept their software.

Bad customer relations.  I can't think of any other company that would do this.

Just like Firefox is going to eclipse IE, people will quickly tire of things like WGA forced on them, eventually
    making Microsoft OS irrelevant.  (As if it's virus prone nature isn't reason enough).
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Bearsy wrote, "...it felt like Microsoft is holding a gun to your head forcing you to accept their software.  Bad customer relations.  I can't think of any other company that would do this."

I can.

Apple forces you to accept their hardware if you want their software.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:35 AM