Running WHS under Virtual PC RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is unsupported, but...

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to run WHS under Virtual PC? I'd prefer to avoid the added complexity of Virtual Server, but am trying to get the WHS VPC to auto-start when my Server 2003 host starts up.

The best I could come up with so far (but it's late) is to use TweakUI to do autologin, and have a shortcut to the

.VMC file in the current user's Startup menu.

Trouble is at startup VPC sometimes prompts me about what to do about unsaved changes from the last time the VPC was stopped (when I shut down the server), and that prompt comes up on the console (no keyboard or mouse attached to the server, I just happen to have a monitor attached because it has dual inputs).

If I RDP to the Server 2003 machine (as the same user as is auto-logged in on the console) I get a fresh login session so I still can't respond to the VPC prompt.

Most times I hibernate the Server 2003 box rather than shut it down, so this is not a problem every time I turn it on, but I'd like to automate it a bit better if possible.

Why am I doing this? Because I love the remote access feature of WHS, but the storage and backup features don't work reliably enough for me. So I use WHS in a VPC for remote access, and Server 2003 for the other stuff.

Thanks ... Mike

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest using the free VMWare Server. You can get it here: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/ , you only have to register to get a free serial number.

Key Features:

-runs as a service, so nobody has to be logged on

-you can specify that the virtual machine starts when the host starts, and shuts down when the host shuts down

-you can use your existing MS Virtual PC file

-you can control the virtual machine from any PC in the network by installing the VMWare Server Console

Hope that helps,

Alex

Friday, August 10, 2007 9:58 AM
  • If you need it to start up when the host OS starts, then you need to use Virtual Server or VMWare server. It's not possible to configure Virtual PC to do that.

But if all you want to use WHS for is a remote access solution, there are better ways. You might try a VPN connection to your home network, for example. Or you could replace your Windows Server 2003 with Small Business Server, which has a full implementation of Remote Web Workplace.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Thanks Alig & Ken.

Looks like my first try will be VMWare. I probably need to get some experience with it anyway.

While I've used VPNs in previous jobs (not currently), it seems to me that would not work well for (say) accessing my home PCs from a work PC (I suspect the IT group wouldn't like it much if I connected my domain-joined PC to a VPN).

SBS might be an option (I've never played with it). Does Remote Web Workplace work the same way as WHS in terms of https access? Hmm, but I'd need a static IP from Comcast or to use a dynamic DNS service I believe.

Thanks again,

Mike

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Hi Ken ( or anyone else thats willing to help ) my previous WHS box crashed so due to lack of another box to use I was hoping to be able to run WHS in a VPC on my main computer. I have a Vostro 220 which now has two drives. disk0 is my 250gb drive and Disk1 is my 1Tb ( whs drive ) I tried to create a vpc disk to point to the disk1 drive but when i  go thru the setup it only shows disk0 mounted. I could use some help here is anyone would be so kind, i'm not working at the moment so funds arent available for any other solution that i can see in the reasonably near future.  I'm not particularly bothered with whether it auto starts etc. I just need a workable solution within the available resources.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg S.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:30 AM
  • I think all you need is overhere.

Friday, October 16, 2009 8:40 AM