How can we make it better? RRS feed

• Question

• As far as I can tell it works as described. I am running the minimum hardware and it runs as it should. Reading the posts in this forum allowed me to set up remote access, thanks people. Now how do we turn it into a media server? On my home network I can access mp3/mp4 and VOB files and play them on any computer including my HTPC, one file at a time. Doesn't seem like a giant step to play a whole DVD or playlist. Anyone figured this out yet?
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:13 AM

Answers

• O.K. figured out what is going on, I think I was given the correct answer it just didn't register. So for all those as dim as myself. Power DVD 5 is what I am using, it plays a dvd or a file very well but doesn't do streaming media. Apparently Powerdvd 7 will do it but they want money, go figure. So I have downloaded microsoft media player 11 and it works, sort of. With powerdvd I select use the spidif and my reciever gives me Dolby 5.1 suround. Media player will only give me pro logic despite my repeated efforts, if it would just send the audio to the reciever unmolested it knows what to do. Also powerdvd allows me to fill the screen, media player likes the letter box look it seems. So I will either bend Media player to make it work the way I think it should, or I will buy PowerDVD 7 and take the easy way out. Bottom line WHS just works great as a media server, with the right software. Did I mention I have another Seagate 320 gig headed my way. 

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 2:37 AM

All replies

• To me, a media server is just a place where you have all of your video\photo\music files stored in a central location.  Which is what WHS is.  You can run TIVO Desktop software on WHS for TIVO.  You can run TVIX netshare on WHS for TIVX-HD type players.  You can enable the UPNP functionality on WHS, or you could probably install some other media related app like SageTV if you wanted as I believe that works as well.

For me using a TVIX unit for playback, it works very well.  Browsing folders that contain 1.3+TB of HD and DVD material as though it was 'local' to the TVIX is great.  Sure, it pulls it from the LAN on a 100MB network, but the TVIX player makes it all feel and behave like it was running locally.  No lag, instant access.  Nice.

What exactly do you want to do with your WHS box?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Just started playing with the software put a few pictures on the server and a few songs as well as one DVD by way of shrink DVD. I would like to run an entire movie on my HTPC from the server, right now I can play the movie in pieces one VOB file at a time and songs one at a time. Don't have a TIVO or stand alone DVD player my HTPC takes care of all that. I click on a VOB file on the shared folder on my HTPC and power DVD starts up on my HTPC and plays that file, I need it to play all the VOB files in a row. I want the files on the server to run as if they were on the HTPC. As it is when I run a VOB file on the HTPC from the server it plays that file as if it were on the HTPC or in the DVD drive really impressive. Then it stops and goes to the powerdvd screen, then I can go back to the shared folder and play the next part of the movie.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Personally, I would like to image my wall full of DVD movies onto my WHS, use some sort of media center device connected to my TV and use an on screen 'Movie on Demand' remote to select and run the particular dvd.  Then I could pack up all those DVDs and store them in the attic.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Me too, I could put my DVD's with all those cd's I don't use anymore. I payed for them and I ripped them to a hard drive, now they get backed up. This software is great and I will buy it for what it does now, but if microsoft doesn't add media center capability to it, someone else will. This would be the icing on the cake. As a beta tester so far I built a server out of an old computer. Asus CUSL2 mother board, P3 1gig, 512 ram a Ti4200 video and a networking card. It backs up my computers, allows file sharing, remote access and acts as a print server. Problems none yet.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Thats what I did.    I have a MCE2005 box parked under my 61" Samsung.  I ripped my dvd's to WHS and view them using My Movies running under MCE.  All done with a remote.  When I ripped the DVD's I set it for no compression so I wouldn't lose any quality.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 12:24 PM
  • O.K. figured out what is going on, I think I was given the correct answer it just didn't register. So for all those as dim as myself. Power DVD 5 is what I am using, it plays a dvd or a file very well but doesn't do streaming media. Apparently Powerdvd 7 will do it but they want money, go figure. So I have downloaded microsoft media player 11 and it works, sort of. With powerdvd I select use the spidif and my reciever gives me Dolby 5.1 suround. Media player will only give me pro logic despite my repeated efforts, if it would just send the audio to the reciever unmolested it knows what to do. Also powerdvd allows me to fill the screen, media player likes the letter box look it seems. So I will either bend Media player to make it work the way I think it should, or I will buy PowerDVD 7 and take the easy way out. Bottom line WHS just works great as a media server, with the right software. Did I mention I have another Seagate 320 gig headed my way. 

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 2:37 AM
  •  roadholder wrote:
    As far as I can tell it works as described. I am running the minimum hardware and it runs as it should. Reading the posts in this forum allowed me to set up remote access, thanks people. Now how do we turn it into a media server? On my home network I can access mp3/mp4 and VOB files and play them on any computer including my HTPC, one file at a time. Doesn't seem like a giant step to play a whole DVD or playlist. Anyone figured this out yet?

Go to the control panel > add-remove programs > add windows components and install media services then go to  Administrative tools and you will find the media server setup. It even has a sample playlist I think the link structure is something like wms://server you can connect via MP 11 to search for it

Rex

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:17 AM
  •  wanderer99 wrote:

To me, a media server is just a place where you have all of your video\photo\music files stored in a central location.  Which is what WHS is.  You can run TIVO Desktop software on WHS for TIVO.  You can run TVIX netshare on WHS for TIVX-HD type players.  You can enable the UPNP functionality on WHS, or you could probably install some other media related app like SageTV if you wanted as I believe that works as well.

For me using a TVIX unit for playback, it works very well.  Browsing folders that contain 1.3+TB of HD and DVD material as though it was 'local' to the TVIX is great.  Sure, it pulls it from the LAN on a 100MB network, but the TVIX player makes it all feel and behave like it was running locally.  No lag, instant access.  Nice.

What exactly do you want to do with your WHS box?

Can you explain  briefly how you have the WHS box and the tvix setup to playback your media?  I have a ReadyNAS NV+ with 2TB of data that I have been using, and playback without any problems to the Tvix and Xbox Media Center, But I can't get the tvix to connect to the WHS box for the life of me.

I'm interested in getting this WHS box running as the main media server because the Diskless version of the Readynas was discontinued after Netgear bought out infrant, so I need a new plan on storage and the homeserver system seems like the perfect solution, especially since it easily accomodates adding more drives/storage as you need them.

I have it setup with 2x250GB internal drives and 1 750GB external currently, and I want to make sure I can connect from everything i need to (PC to place content on the server - works great currently, Xbox media center to access/playback all media - works great currently, and finally the Tvix which is the other main media player in the house.  The Tvix is working great with the ReadyNAS, but it just wont connect to the server.  I know there is some certain  combination of things you have to do, such as creat a username "tvixhd1" I believe, but I'm not sure what all the implications are with WHS.   Are you using NFS or Samba?  I run NFS from the ReadyNAS, and installed the Tvix netshare software on the WHS box but......no such luck. My ReadyNAS has 9GB left, so I  was deciding wether to get a different nas product similar to the infrant (USRobotics makes one, along with a company called Synergy) but they both have a limit of 2 TB Total, and the NAS box itself is ~$650 without any drives.  I paid $800 total for this new Dell server with the intentions of running it as a NAS lol

Thanks for any advice or suggestions, I really appreciate it!!

Saturday, September 1, 2007 6:34 PM
  •  Kanebrake wrote:
    Thats what I did.    I have a MCE2005 box parked under my 61" Samsung.  I ripped my dvd's to WHS and view them using My Movies running under MCE.  All done with a remote.  When I ripped the DVD's I set it for no compression so I wouldn't lose any quality.

Are you streaming ISOs?  Or did you convert the DVDs to another file type?

Saturday, September 1, 2007 10:50 PM
  • This is exactly what I've done - DVD's copied to the WHS using DVD FAB, and then played on the TV using an XBOX modified with xbmc (http://xbmc.org/) - fantastic bit of software. The DVD's are in a cupboard rather than the attic, as we sometimes take them camping.
    All I need now is a 1TB drive so I can turn duplication on for the DVDs - I'd hate to have to back them all up again.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Codee,

You asked about setting up Tvix, you can use SMB shares to do this. If you will look at this page http://http//www.tvix.co.kr/eng/faq/Default.aspx?act=SCAT&CATID=10&SCATID=18 , you will see easy instructions. Although they are Vista related, they can help with WHS.

Ben

htpc builder
    • Edited by benogil Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:52 PM spelling
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:52 PM