Howto manually update the server ip address on homeserver.com? RRS feed

• Question

• My ISP's Transparent Proxy is causing homserver.com to cache the proxy's ip address instead of ip address of my home server.

Hence, would it be possible to manually update the ip address on homeserver.com?

Regards.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:53 PM

Answers

• There's no way for a user to manually update the Live dynamic DNS servers, I'm afraid.

You can contact your ISP about the proxy server. I don't really recommend you do so, however; there are TOS considerations (many ISPs ban the running of servers on residential connections, and some don't distinguish between a "home server" and a business server). While it's possible that your ISP will simply allow traffic to you to go through without being intercepted by the proxy server, more likely they'll either deny your request and watch you like a hawk, or they'll try to sell you business class service.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tensor.qed Monday, September 12, 2011 12:48 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• WHS 2011 updates directly itself on a regular basis directly communicating with homeserver.com - not sure a manual update would help. If you mean can you manually update your IP address on Microsoft's servers, I suspect you know the answer to that.

"A web request can be intercepted by the proxy, transparently. That is, as far as the client software knows, it is talking to the origin server itself, when it is really talking to the proxy server. (Note that the transparency only applies to the client; the server knows that a proxy is involved, and will see the IP address of the proxy, not the IP address of the user."

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:00 PM
  • That's the problem :(

WHS2011 is passing the proxy address instead of my router's IP to homeserver.com.

The problem wasn't entirely obvious till I'd tried querying homeserver.com on which ip address it was getting.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:05 PM
  • There's no way for a user to manually update the Live dynamic DNS servers, I'm afraid.

You can contact your ISP about the proxy server. I don't really recommend you do so, however; there are TOS considerations (many ISPs ban the running of servers on residential connections, and some don't distinguish between a "home server" and a business server). While it's possible that your ISP will simply allow traffic to you to go through without being intercepted by the proxy server, more likely they'll either deny your request and watch you like a hawk, or they'll try to sell you business class service.

• Marked as answer by Tensor.qed Monday, September 12, 2011 12:48 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Just use your Internet IP address for remote access.

That is don't use xxx.homeserver.com as the URL, replace it with your Internet IP adress xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.

This will always work, but requires you be aware if the ISP has "patched" you onto a different port, which will cause the IP address to change, which must be reflected by the remote access requests.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:57 AM
  • I changed IP addresses (intentionally)...is there a way I can force Home Server (Vail) to re-register with the new address?  A server restart do the trick?  How about disabling Remote Web and then re-enabling it?

Thoughts?

Dave Durand
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Wait. That's all it takes. :) Windows Home Server updates the DDNS servers at Live Domains regularly.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:29 PM
  • I understand that WHS periodically updates the homeserver.com DNS server with it's current internet IP address.  And up until recently, that seemed to work well.  However, now the ISP is changing the IP address more frequently for some reason, and the WHS software is doing something very strange.  It seems to be reporting the IP address change properly to the DNS server, but not making the change to itself internally.  THis can cause the web access to be unavailable for several days, and the only way I have been able to recover it is to log into the WHS from the local network and use the server settings capability on the dashboard.  This corrects the problem immediately, and even flashes the old internet IP address on the screen so that you can see what it is changing from. The users on the local network are totally unaware of this problem, since their individual internet access is not affected.   THe worst part, however, of this situation, is that I don't know how to correct the problem without traveling to the site of the server and bringing up the dashboard. I have users who work from home over the weekend, and when the access goes out on Friday afternoon they are out of luck.   I wish I could do something preemptively so that when the situation arises, WHS will automatically take care of it.  Does such a solution exist?    Thanks for listening.

actor39

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:29 PM