Have product key for WIN XP, How do I get a disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have the product key for WIN XP which was pre-installed on my HP PC. The HP computer crashed recently, is dead.  I just purchased a new computer which came without windows, and I want to have my Win XP installed which I had originally purchased with the HP,  and later upgrade to WIN 7. Unfortunately I never received a back up disk for Win Xp with the old  HP computer, the computer store told me to come back if I have problems. But the store is no longer in business.  And the broken HP computer is no longer under warranty. I still have the bills/ proof of purchase of the old HP computer. How do I replace the Win XP disk or install Win Xp with my product key?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hello wellnessyoga,

You wrote, "I have the product key for WIN XP which was pre-installed on my HP PC."

Preinstalled licenses for Windows (which are known as OEM licenses) are permanently married to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted by the End User Licesning Agreement (EULA) to be moved to any other computer.

So the bottom line of all of that is, even if you had the discs for the Windows license that came with your now-dead HP, you would not be permitted to move that original license from the original-but-now-dead computer to any other computer.

If you want to run Windows on your new computer that did not come with Windows installed, your two options are:

1.  Take the computer back to the computer builder/assembler/manufacturer and pay them for the license and installation of a Genuine Windows 7 OEM license for your desired edition of Windows 7 (Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate).  A genuine OEM license will consist of (a) a genuine Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) with Product Key printed on the CoA, affixed to the computer case or chassis; (b) a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc for the edition of W7 you purchased; (c) accompanying documentation; and (d) the execution of Software Licensing Terms upon your first use of the computer.

2.  Purchase a full retail license for the Windows 7 edition of your choice from a trusted local or major name online retailer, or directly from Microsoft (http://store.microsoft.com).  You may see auction sellers and no name web sites selling standalone product keys for Windows 7, but please resist the temptation to buy.  The only legitimate source for a purchase of an electronic distribution of Windows is Mircrosoft itself thru its online distribution partner Digital River---ANY other source claiming to sell electronic product keys and downloaded copies of Windows is a bogus source.

For advice on how to protect against counterfeit software, please see www.howtotell.com.

Good Luck!

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:47 AM

All replies

• Sorry, but one cannot transfer a Windows XP OEM license to a different computer.  That license lives and dies with the original computer it was installed on.  In order to install and activate Windows 7 on your new computer, you will need to purchase a "Full License" edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hello wellnessyoga,

You wrote, "I have the product key for WIN XP which was pre-installed on my HP PC."

Preinstalled licenses for Windows (which are known as OEM licenses) are permanently married to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted by the End User Licesning Agreement (EULA) to be moved to any other computer.

So the bottom line of all of that is, even if you had the discs for the Windows license that came with your now-dead HP, you would not be permitted to move that original license from the original-but-now-dead computer to any other computer.

If you want to run Windows on your new computer that did not come with Windows installed, your two options are:

1.  Take the computer back to the computer builder/assembler/manufacturer and pay them for the license and installation of a Genuine Windows 7 OEM license for your desired edition of Windows 7 (Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate).  A genuine OEM license will consist of (a) a genuine Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) with Product Key printed on the CoA, affixed to the computer case or chassis; (b) a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc for the edition of W7 you purchased; (c) accompanying documentation; and (d) the execution of Software Licensing Terms upon your first use of the computer.

2.  Purchase a full retail license for the Windows 7 edition of your choice from a trusted local or major name online retailer, or directly from Microsoft (http://store.microsoft.com).  You may see auction sellers and no name web sites selling standalone product keys for Windows 7, but please resist the temptation to buy.  The only legitimate source for a purchase of an electronic distribution of Windows is Mircrosoft itself thru its online distribution partner Digital River---ANY other source claiming to sell electronic product keys and downloaded copies of Windows is a bogus source.

For advice on how to protect against counterfeit software, please see www.howtotell.com.

Good Luck!

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:47 AM