Backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

My OneCare program keep telling me files have been changed and I need to run a backup.  The last backup took 32 CD's and this one says 24 CD's.  Before the upgrade, all I had to do was insert my last disk and it entered the changed or new items.  Is this a problem with the UPGRADED program?  I've also had the Firewall issue and after three hours with support finally removed and reinstalled the program to correct that issue.  Just don't think this "upgrade" is working.  I'm trying to find another program which did what OneCare did to start with and not have these problems.  Any suggestions?
    Friday, February 8, 2008 1:55 PM

Answers

•  DumbBlonde wrote:

My OneCare program keep telling me files have been changed and I need to run a backup.  The last backup took 32 CD's and this one says 24 CD's.  Before the upgrade, all I had to do was insert my last disk and it entered the changed or new items.  Is this a problem with the UPGRADED program?  I've also had the Firewall issue and after three hours with support finally removed and reinstalled the program to correct that issue.  Just don't think this "upgrade" is working.  I'm trying to find another program which did what OneCare did to start with and not have these problems.  Any suggestions?

Open OneCare, click on change settings, then on the Backup tab.

Click change settings, click on your PC name, then click on "Change" for the file types. Review all of the types being backed, the files detected for backup by OneCare, and their locations. Based on your needs exclude locations and types as you wish.

Once complete, save the revised plan.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:27 PM

All replies

• DB;

Asking about competitive suites on the Microsoft OneCare forum is a bit like driving into Exxon and asking for directions to the nearest Shell, but if you want to read a reasonably recent review of the products and you trust the publication:

PC Magazine Security Suites 2008

I'm sure you'll hear more about how to deal with the upgrade while you're reading...

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  DumbBlonde wrote:

Open OneCare, click on change settings, then on the Backup tab.

Click change settings, click on your PC name, then click on "Change" for the file types. Review all of the types being backed, the files detected for backup by OneCare, and their locations. Based on your needs exclude locations and types as you wish.

Once complete, save the revised plan.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Already did that and decided to only back up specific documents, it still wants 20 disks.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Then you will need to review the backup plan and exclude more folders or files. Since you are backing up to CD, it would appear that a rather significant amount of data is changing between backups.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:17 AM