Client Dashboard error - Can't connect to remote computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have two clients win 7 64 bit Pro both can rdp to the server, both can see the network shares. I have re-installed the server twice and made no mods to it, just tried to install the client connector, lots of times. When I run the Dashboard I get the error box which starts off, Remote Desktop cannot connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons.

What I cannot understand is why if I can Remote Desktop from the clients why client Dashboards won't load. I am at the stage now where if I can't fix it I am going back to version 1.

I have tried removing ipv6 from the server and client and renewing the security certificate and have been searching for two days on and off without success so I thought a forum with Microsoft as a header may be my last hope.

Frank

Friday, November 4, 2011 4:56 PM

All replies

• Me personally, I do not have connector software installed on any of my pc's, I RDP into server and launch dashboard from there. One less resource my computers need to use. I have full fuctionality of shared folders, backups, etc, without the connector.

Monday, November 7, 2011 1:22 AM
  • On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 01:22:39 +0000, rob111111 wrote:

Me personally, I do not have connector software installed on any of my pc's, I RDP into server and launch dashboard from there. One less resource my computers need to use. I have full fuctionality of shared folders, backups,?etc, without the connector.

If you're doing client backups and not just server backups, then you've got
    the connector software installed. You may not be running the Launchpad at
    start-up but you can't be doing client backups unless you've got the
    connector software installed.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    It is now pitch dark.  If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Me personally, I do not have connector software installed on any of my pc's, I RDP into server and launch dashboard from there. One less resource my computers need to use. I have full fuctionality of shared folders, backups, etc, without the connector.

One problem with RDP'ing to the server and using the Dashboard there is that you cannot access any backed-up data.  To mount any of the backed-up drives you have to use Dashboard from a client.

I don't know if the original poster's problem is same as mine, but without being able to run Dashboard from a client even (as in my case) when WHS 2011 is  successfully backing up the clients makes those backup mostly useless, since in >90% of cases where I needed to recover from backups involved file(s) rather than bare metal/full restores.

Dashboard not being reliable is simply unacceptable since when you need to restore file(s) from a backup you usually won't have the luxury to  spend hours trying to troubleshoot Dashboard problems.

Monday, November 7, 2011 4:55 PM