Hard Drive Won't Remove From Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have three hard drives in my WHS. My origianl build was on the smallest drive 80GB (Release Candidate). After I purchase the RTM, I removed the 80GB drive and installed new with one of my 320 GB as the Primary Master. I then added the 80GB back to the storage pool. Only it added it as 30 GB. I can only assume that it saw the old info from the RC install, and didn't add the entire 80 GB due to some of the resident system files left behind.

I am trying to recoop the lost GB's. The process I used, was to remove the 80 GB drive from the storage pool. I can see it in the WHS console as not being added to the pool, but I can't do anything with it as it still has the DATA tag on it. WHS still thinks it is being accessed.

I need a way to format the drive. I know I could just take it out and do it on a different system, but I am looking for a way to do it without having to open the case.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:10 PM

Answers

• I use a program called Lysol. I picked it up several years ago, it does a quick sector count, and then resets the drive to "like new". It doesn't erase data, but it hides it from new installations.

I've used it for several different operating systems and it has never caused an issue. For WHS, it worked perfectly. I was able to add the drive back to the storage pool and it sees it has an 80 GB drive. I know it won't use all 80 GB, but the objective was to have the drive recognized for what it was.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:18 PM

All replies

• It can be done, but care must be taken to ensure you have the correct drive!

Firstly, RDP into your Server. Then, from the Start Menu,select - All Programs - Administrative Tools - Computer Management. On the left hand tree, select Disk Management, which will show you the Volumes and Disks in your system. Select the volume you want on your 80GB disk and 'right-click' which will give you the Format option.

Don't forget, that WHS doesn't use the last 20GB of each disk in the system, so you are only going to gain at most, 60GB.

HTH,

Colin

Friday, December 21, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Hmm. Others have reported serious problems after taking an onld WHS system disk and installing it as a secondary disk. Nobody has reported success in recovering from the situation, short of reinstalling Windows Home Server, I'm afraid. So be prepared for the need to reinstall; if possible pull copies of your files off your server now.

I can tell you what I would try, but I don't give it better than a 50% chance of success. I would shut down the server ane disconnect or remove that old drive. Then I would restart. Windows Home Server is certain to complain about what's just happened; you'll likely get a critical network health warning because a drive in the storage pool just "failed". Open the console, then remove that drive you just disconnected from the storage pool. Click through any warnings about losing data or backups. Once WHS finishes removing the drive, restart. If your server reports itself as healthy, then you've dodged a bullet (and I want to know that it worked). Just as likely, though, your server will report issues with the system drive. If that happens, let us know what the errors are, and maybe we can figure out a way to recover from them.

In either case, I would remove the old system drive from your server and put it in an external USB enclosure. Connect it to some other PC and use DISKPART (or another partition table editor of your choice) to completely wipe the partition table. Only then should you consider reinstalling it in your server.
    Friday, December 21, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Interesting, I was under the assumption that Disk Management was not to be used on WHS for any reason.

I opened Disk Management and even though the drive was removed from the WHS Storage Pool, it is still in the pool on Disk Management. I'm not formating it here. I'm too cautious for that.

I'll have to remove the drive and format it on one of my other systems.

Thanks for the response!

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:40 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Hmm. Others have reported serious problems after taking an onld WHS system disk and installing it as a secondary disk. Nobody has reported success in recovering from the situation, short of reinstalling Windows Home Server, I'm afraid. So be prepared for the need to reinstall; if possible pull copies of your files off your server now.

I can tell you what I would try, but I don't give it better than a 50% chance of success. I would shut down the server ane disconnect or remove that old drive. Then I would restart. Windows Home Server is certain to complain about what's just happened; you'll likely get a critical network health warning because a drive in the storage pool just "failed". Open the console, then remove that drive you just disconnected from the storage pool. Click through any warnings about losing data or backups. Once WHS finishes removing the drive, restart. If your server reports itself as healthy, then you've dodged a bullet (and I want to know that it worked). Just as likely, though, your server will report issues with the system drive. If that happens, let us know what the errors are, and maybe we can figure out a way to recover from them.

In either case, I would remove the old system drive from your server and put it in an external USB enclosure. Connect it to some other PC and use DISKPART (or another partition table editor of your choice) to completely wipe the partition table. Only then should you consider reinstalling it in your server.

I wanted to make sure I let you know that I did remove the drive from the storage pool, then removed it from the server. On reboot there were no errors and the WHS was fine without the old drive. I put the old drive back in, to see if it would rescan the drive and recognize it's full capacity. Sadly it did not, and as I stated in the previous post, I am now going to format it on a separate system.

Thanks for your response!

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:46 PM
  • I have to admit I'm surprised you didn't have more severe problems. Installing multiple disks with active system partitions usually causes problems with Windows systems...

If you want the drive's full capacity recognized, you are going to have to connect it to another PC and use a partition table editor to remove all volumes and partitions. I don't have a problem with diskpart, which is part of Windows, but you may have a preference for another tool. After you do that you should be able to reinstall it in your server.
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:10 PM
  • I use a program called Lysol. I picked it up several years ago, it does a quick sector count, and then resets the drive to "like new". It doesn't erase data, but it hides it from new installations.

I've used it for several different operating systems and it has never caused an issue. For WHS, it worked perfectly. I was able to add the drive back to the storage pool and it sees it has an 80 GB drive. I know it won't use all 80 GB, but the objective was to have the drive recognized for what it was.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:18 PM