Can I use the CD/DVD burners on my WHS box? RRS feed

• Question

• I built my WHS box on a HP 864n.  It has 2 writers - one a CD writer and one a DVD Lightscribe writer.  Is there software within WHS or I could install that would allow me to have access to those drives?  I'd like to use them to burn disks and would like to have access to the Lightscribe functionality...

Thanks,

Stan
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• While you could install software that would let you use them, you would have to log in to the WHS directly, either via physically connected console or Remote Desktop. Both access methods are unsupported. My recommendation would be to remove one of the burners from your server and install it in some other PC in your house.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:05 PM

All replies

• While you could install software that would let you use them, you would have to log in to the WHS directly, either via physically connected console or Remote Desktop. Both access methods are unsupported. My recommendation would be to remove one of the burners from your server and install it in some other PC in your house.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:05 PM
  • The WHS idea is too let it do its server duties and be left alone. The more the machine is fiddled with, the more likely for user error and it might fail and cause a data loss. If your machine has video and peripheral connections you can log into it and do a great many things, but I would not want to. There's no headroom under my stairs in the basement, its tucked away and hidden for good reason - added safety and security.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:46 PM