locked
Why is the console not resizable? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Maybe this has been addressed already but....

    When adding multiple add-ins or using certain add-ins, it'd be nice to maximize or otherwise enlarge the console to show more data. I tried to use an app that does that but it only stretched the terminal services window, not the console inside. Also you can't select columns to change sort order either...


    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    • Edited by S_M_E Friday, October 31, 2008 9:20 AM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:18 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I think there are a few reasons behind this; certainly, as this is just a dressed up remote desktop, it would be quite difficult to achieve.
    Also, the original intention was that the Console was only there to act as a means of administering the server, not a a general desktop,  so as Add-Ins have become more all-encompassing, this has been overtaken - in my opinion, not necessarily for the better. Also, the order is fixed for a reason - the OEM manufacturers, who are the main market, have their own structure, that means their own Tabs have to come first, with the basic Tabs also being allocated first.

    There has been discussions regarding this, and it would be worthwhile going to the Connect site, and voting on any of the suggestions you feel are important.
    Although they don't change the Console size, there are a couple of Add-Ins, which allow for scrolling of Tabs etc., which might be worth looking at.

    Colin

    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:14 AM
    Moderator
  • More important than the order of the tabs is the viewing area of the data and only a resizable console would allow that. Being able to see more tabs would help too but certainly they could make the resolution of the console dynamic or at least have options for more than one size. Not everyone uses 800x600 desktops. As far as sort order goes, go to the Server Storage tab and try to sort by Capacity, it doesn't work but it should. Tab management plugins help but it's ony part of the console's limitations.

    Thanks for the reply though...

    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:43 AM
  • The console is designed to run, and look identical, on any client computer that has a screen of at least 1024x768, but remember that it runs on the server, not the client. There are hooks in terminal services that allow setting an application to run when you connect (how the console works) and there are hooks that let you set your resolution in the terminal services window when you establish the connection, but there are no hooks that allow you to change the size of an application window in the terminal services window.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:37 PM
    Moderator
  • Ken Warren said:

    The console is designed to run, and look identical, on any client computer that has a screen of at least 1024x768, but remember that it runs on the server, not the client. There are hooks in terminal services that allow setting an application to run when you connect (how the console works) and there are hooks that let you set your resolution in the terminal services window when you establish the connection, but there are no hooks that allow you to change the size of an application window in the terminal services window.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    If the TS window was set to say 1600x1200 *before* the connection was made would the console be bigger or would you just see the same console in a bigger window? If there's no way to resize it, at all, perhaps the WHS team should look at making a new console that can be. They could also fix that sort order issue, while they're at it. :D

    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:25 PM
  • I think I answered your question already:

    "The console is designed to run, and look identical, on any client computer that has a screen of at least 1024x768..."

    There's a caveat that I didn't state in that: if your client PC is running it's screen at a low enough bit depth, the Console will look, umm, ugly. But that's nothing that Microsoft has control over, except by making the Console look ugly for everyone so it looks the same for everyone. (You may think it looks ugly now, I don't know, and that's a matter of individual opinion. With only 256 colors it's far less pleasant, I promise.)

    If you're interested in learning more aobut some of the interesting things you can do with a deep enough understanding of Terminal Services, you might start here.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:54 PM
    Moderator
  • Yes, "designed" to look identical but that shouldn't mean that changes can't be made. Again, if it *can't* be done, perhaps a redesign of the console is in order.

    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:19 PM
  • S_M_E said:

    Yes, "designed" to look identical but that shouldn't mean that changes can't be made. Again, if it *can't* be done, perhaps a redesign of the console is in order.

    Feel free to submit a product suggestion on Connect.

    Or, if you're up for it, you can write your own console. While it's true that most of what the console does, and most of how it does it, is undocumented, unsupported, and a serious violation of your EULA to reverse engineer, it's also not hard to figure out most of it. Just realize that it will break the first time Microsoft updates any of the supporting code, or makes a change to e.g. Drive Extender.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:26 AM
    Moderator
  • Ken Warren said:

    S_M_E said:

    Yes, "designed" to look identical but that shouldn't mean that changes can't be made. Again, if it *can't* be done, perhaps a redesign of the console is in order.

    Feel free to submit a product suggestion on Connect.

    Or, if you're up for it, you can write your own console.


    I've already added a comment on somebody's suggestion to make the console resizable.

    I'm not a programmer, I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper sack. Back in the early 80's it took me several weeks to write "hangman" in basic, that's when I gave up programming. I'm more of a manager/administrator now. I am looking forward to Windows 7 beta though, I wish I could get in now instead of waiting for next month...

    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 1:51 AM