none
Windows 10 start-up pictures (the "Like what you see" pics) RRS feed

• Question

• I am a 71 year old who was very hesitant to go to Windows 10; thinking it was too big a "learning curve"; but I was wrong..it is fun and makes me think. That said....I love the pictures I see when I start up my computer and have wondered many times "where is this place?" It would be nice to know. For instance, today's picture is of an arch in Arches National Park - I know this because I have been at this particular arch, but others may not, but is it sunrise or sunset?  And...who took the picture? Shouldn't credit be given to the person who took the picture(s)?  Microsoft is a big business and Bill Gates seems to be a wonderful person, an entrepreneur, who strives to do good in the world - Microsoft, in just this little way, can "teach" the world!! 
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:10 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 1:12 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd use the Windows Feedback app for this.

It's under the start menu.

You can search for feedback, and if you find someone else has already submitted the same feedback you can Upvote it.

Otherwise you can "add new feedback" at the bottom.

By the way, I agree with you 100% - I'd love to know more about the pictures.

You might also ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The MSDN, TechNet and Expression Library Feedback forum is to "Help improve the Library Experience in MSDN, TechNet and Expression by providing feedback on features, bugs, look and feel or by just providing suggestions". This is not a support forum.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Hello,

I'd use the Windows Feedback app for this.

It's under the start menu.

You can search for feedback, and if you find someone else has already submitted the same feedback you can Upvote it.

Otherwise you can "add new feedback" at the bottom.

By the way, I agree with you 100% - I'd love to know more about the pictures.

You might also ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Also take a look in;

C:\Windows\Web

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:51 PM
  • Hello,

I notice that on the new Windows 10 build there is more information on these photos, including (on the left side) a link that will open in your browser after you login!

Karl

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Also take a look in;

Hi Dave,

I think the OP is referring to the photos a Windows 10 Home user sees when first starting the PC. There is a "Like this?" link on the top right, where you get to choose to tell Microsoft if you do or do not like the photo.

Karl

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:22 PM
  • I think the OP is referring to the photos a Windows 10 Home user sees when first starting the PC. There is a "Like this?" link on the top right, where you get to choose to tell Microsoft if you do or do not like the photo.

Yea, windows caches the picture files here and then reads from there to present them.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Dave,

I have checked the folders under C:\Windows\Web on all of my Windows 10 boxes, and none of them have anything other than standard wallpaper images.

Unless I miss my guess, the OP is talking abut the images presented by the "Spotlight feature"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/photos-provided-by-windows-10-show-me-more-like/5f575d72-daa8-49e9-b4e6-a8e0a402e8f2

Karl

Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Maybe your 'puter is busted? For me that's where they're cached.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Dave,

As mentions, all of my Win 10 computers do not have the files in \Windows\Web.

Are you talking about these?

http://www.howtogeek.com/247643/how-to-save-windows-10s-lock-screen-spotlight-images-to-your-hard-drive/?utm_content=bufferf907e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I'm on the anniversary update now, but the first time I looked in \Windows\Web they were not there either.

I do admit I have been on Insider builds for around 6 months though, so YMMV.

Karl 

Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:51 PM