Console Output RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hallo,

some months we had a discussion regarding console outputs from the compute nodes. At this time, a tool called ijob was an intermediate solution to collect the outputs from the slaves within one console window on the head node.

In the meantime I've tested some free MPI implementations (e.g. NT-MPICH by the University of Aachen, http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/content/172) which offered very comfortable output possibilities (administrating all outputs from the cluster manager, own output window for every slave...), but with lacks in other fields.

Are there any plans of the WCCS developing team to improve the console output capabilities of WCCS 2003 or the upcoming WCCS 2008?

Thanks a lot and best Regards,

Tobias

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:42 PM

Answers

• Dear Michael,

thanks for your quick answer.

From my experience, people appreciate the console output to test their (scientific) algorithms due to easy screen printing and logging. Thus, this way of debugging should also be available for distributed code development.

We are currently using an implementation from the university of Aachen (Germany) called NT-MPICH (http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/content/index.php?ctl_pos=172) which is very comfortable in this field - every node has its own console output window, accessible from the scheduler. Maybe the Windows HPC Server development team should have a look to take this as an inspiration - it's really helpful for debugging.

Thanks for your help,

Tobias Bruckmann

Chair for Mechatronics

University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany

• Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:48 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2008 10:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Tobias,

I am going through some of the unanswered posts to see how we can best assist.  To answer your question, I believe the upcoming version of Windows HPC Server 2008 (formerly knows as WCCS 2008) will have more of the output options you are looking for.  I recommend for you to check the soon to be released Beta 2 version of Windows HPC Server 2008.  There will be an announcement as soon as we release the new Beta version on http://www.windowshpc.net.

Thanks for your participation in the Windows HPC forums.

Michael Cole

Program Manager

Microsoft

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Just a test - Sorry!

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:28 PM
  •  

Its Ok! but please try not to put test posts and in case you do, please do remember to delete it.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Dear Michael,

thanks for your quick answer.

From my experience, people appreciate the console output to test their (scientific) algorithms due to easy screen printing and logging. Thus, this way of debugging should also be available for distributed code development.

We are currently using an implementation from the university of Aachen (Germany) called NT-MPICH (http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/content/index.php?ctl_pos=172) which is very comfortable in this field - every node has its own console output window, accessible from the scheduler. Maybe the Windows HPC Server development team should have a look to take this as an inspiration - it's really helpful for debugging.

Thanks for your help,

Tobias Bruckmann

Chair for Mechatronics

University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany

• Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:48 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

in the meantime I found out that the second preview ´was released. Before I start to set up a new cluster for testing, I would like to ask if someone already found a node console output...!?!

Thanks,

Tobias

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:22 AM