WHS Can't Find Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple backups of a Vista Ultimate system on my WHS. Whenever I try to open the backups it errors saying it "Cannot find a backup for this time." it happens with all the backups for the computer. Does anyone have any way to fix the problem and recover those backups.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:14 PM

Answers

• Yes, it was a bug... thanks to the talq data we got. Fixed in post-CTP builds. Your backups atre safe and will be available from an upgraded build. Thanks for reporting!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 5:04 AM

All replies

• No solution, but I have the same problem with a Win XP Professional system.  Backup appears to complete correctly but when I attempt to open I get the same error:  "Cannot find a backup for this time"

George Sherwood

Friday, April 27, 2007 6:05 PM
  • I'm running xp  pro .  Backups seem to finish fine, but I get " cannot find the given volume" when I try and open one.  I submitted a bug on it -
    Friday, April 27, 2007 9:25 PM
  • I posted a bug report for the problem here. If you can, you can validate and rate the bug from there. Hopefully, it'll be fixed soon.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 9:28 PM
  • viewing backups seems to be a problem with this ctp build. I have experienced something similar with vista, haven't tested yet with xp.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:07 AM
  • Me too. Cannot open backups at all from one of my Vista machines (UAC off) and on the other one (UAC on), can only open backups for that machine from the console. My XP Pro machine is working perfectly, and can open backups from all the other machines.

Mike - 1064091

Saturday, April 28, 2007 8:34 PM
  • Update, it looks like the WHS is activly looking at the bug report I submitted for this problem, which is located here. They requsted in a post that I try accessing the backup with the UAC turned off. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my post back to them, which I'll post here for convience, I had already gone ahead and did a clean reinstall of WHS. If anyone is currently experincing this problem in Vista I recommend trying this and posting results in the bug report under the community dicussion section. Also, it would help if anyone can validate the things I mentioned in my post to see if I was correct on what is causing this bug.

My Comment from the Bug Report

I wish that I could, I'd love to help solve this problem however I already got fed up with WHS not properly doing its main job, safe guarding my other computers by keeping working backups, so I unceremoniously wiped the current WHS installation with DBAN (a secure disk wiping program) and reinstalled WHS on a completely blank drive. (Also, just for kicks I wiped the Vista system with DBAN as well, as I still want to have a working backup of a fresh Vista install on WHS.) Needless to say, it’s now working just fine, except for that other known problem with not being able to access a backup in Vista unless you use an elevated command prompt. I can however tell you when I think are the circumstances in which the problem started appearing and my suspicion on why I think it happened.

Initially, when I first installed WHS and started doing backups with all the computers on my network everything was working fine and all backups were able to be opened, even Vista’s albeit with a little more work. Recently, before the problem appeared I wiped and reinstalled the Vista system as I wanted to have a fresh install of the OS backed up on WHS, since I wanted to test the restore feature later on after the computer had been in use for a while. So I removed the computer from the WHS console and deleted all its stored backups. When I reinstalled Vista I used the same name for the computer that it previously had and reinstalled the WHS connector software and added the computer back to WHS. When I performed its backup it behaved normally and completed the backup with no apparently error. However, later when I checked to see if I could open the backup on Vista instead of seeing the usual “Location is not available” error with this CTP build I got a completely different error “Cannot find a backup for this time”.

My suspicion for this bug is that for some reason when a computer is removed from WHS it isn’t completely removed and there is still some residual settings that will mess with the computers backup on WHS if it is ever added on again, like in my case I used the same name for the computer that was previously added to WHS. I suspect this as I noticed before when I was playing with adding and removing computers that whenever I added a computer I had previously removed it would somehow remember the backup settings I had set for that computer, like if automatic backups were enabled for that computer or not. I don’t think the problem is caused by Vista’s UAC as from reading the validations and ratings for this bug it appears this bug can occur with XP as well, and as XP doesn’t have UAC I think it’s a fairly safe bet to rule it out. One particular person to note in regards to this is, p3pilot, where he validates that the bug occurs in his XP system. From what I read from his comments in the ratings section of this bug report, he had removed and added back an XP computer that previously had backups stored on WHS, which in this bug appears to be the common thread.

If you want try to recreate the bug using the scenario I suggested try this:

1) Add a computer and accumulate backups for it

2) Remove the computer from WHS and along with its backups

3) Add the computer back again to WHS and accumulate some more backups

4) Try to open the newly created backups

I hope all of this helps in some way as I’d hate to see WHS get shipped with this bug unresolved. As it is, it’s quite a serious problem, as it entails the possibility of losing all the backups made for a machine.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:53 AM
  • This is very similar to how my back-ups stopped opening on my Windows XP machine.  I can't remember the details, but I think trying to fix another problem, I uninstalled the connector software and when I reinstalled, I found two computers listed.  I removed the one that was grayed out, but after that I couldn't open any backups due to the "Cannot find a backup for this time".  I am waiting on two new disks for the WHS computer and when they arrive I will do a clean install and see if it starts working again.

George

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Yes, it was a bug... thanks to the talq data we got. Fixed in post-CTP builds. Your backups atre safe and will be available from an upgraded build. Thanks for reporting!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 5:04 AM
  •  

How can we get this newer build?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:24 PM