2 subscriptions for 5 pcs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a ONECARE susbcription for (3) pcs that is about to expire in (1) month.   I just purchased another subscription for (2) more PCs in my home.   I registered the 2nd subscription with the same Hotmail ID as the 1st subscription.   Much to my surprise the 2nd subscription is telling me that it is expiring in (1) month!!!   What gives?  Can't Microsoft tell one subscription from the other? 

How do I correct this situation?   When the 1st subscription expires, I am assuming that the 2nd will too! 
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:38 AM

Answers

• Actually, I don't think support is needed. What I believe that you did, wmosk, is install using the CD onto PC #4 and when you activated, you signed in with the same LiveID used for your current subscription. You were not prompted for a key, since that LiveID already has a subscription. So, you will need to either use a new LiveID and the key for a second subscription, or go ahead and renew the current subscription with the retail key. Technically, you need a second subscription for those other two PCs, so uninstalling on PC#4 and PC#5, then reinstalling and activating with another LiveID and another retail key will get you a new subscription for those 2 PCs.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:53 PM

All replies

• Your One Care account is linked to the Live ID used to subscribe. Because you used the Live ID used on your original account your original subscription will be renewed. To create a new account for the other two PCs you need to create a new Live ID. You will have to contact support to resolve this. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Actually, I don't think support is needed. What I believe that you did, wmosk, is install using the CD onto PC #4 and when you activated, you signed in with the same LiveID used for your current subscription. You were not prompted for a key, since that LiveID already has a subscription. So, you will need to either use a new LiveID and the key for a second subscription, or go ahead and renew the current subscription with the retail key. Technically, you need a second subscription for those other two PCs, so uninstalling on PC#4 and PC#5, then reinstalling and activating with another LiveID and another retail key will get you a new subscription for those 2 PCs.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:53 PM