Are changes to workflows automatically applied retrospectively on existing records? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a workflow in place, which, till the lead has status: open,  sends an email every month to the owner as a reminder, in case a lead is not updated (modified).

I need to change this workfow in order that it is applied only to leads different from a certain "topic".

So, if I change the workflow centrally in order that it is applied only if the topic is different from "x", will this automatically be stopped on the old records where the topic is "x"?

Thanks if anyone can let me know how to solve this ..

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Silvia,

Workflows allow side-by-side versioning, so if you publish a new version of your workflow it will only come into effect on new instances. All existing instances in the waiting state will remain as the old version. So in short - no they will not be automatically stopped.

When creating long running workflows it is a good idea to include any complex logic in a child workflow that is called when needed. This way, you can change the logic even though the parent is already started.

Hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:42 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Silvia,

Workflows allow side-by-side versioning, so if you publish a new version of your workflow it will only come into effect on new instances. All existing instances in the waiting state will remain as the old version. So in short - no they will not be automatically stopped.

When creating long running workflows it is a good idea to include any complex logic in a child workflow that is called when needed. This way, you can change the logic even though the parent is already started.

Hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Many thanks!

Silvia

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:44 AM