What happens when a user needs to expand storage? RRS feed

• Question

• With v1, I've just added drives, very easy, no brainer.

I can see after 2 or 3 years, people wanting to expand storage or need to replace a drive. Unless RAID solutions have been greatly simplified since last time I used them, that would be a nightmare to support, especially with home/small business users. And, most likely, free support will have expired by then.

Rick Hantz
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:56 AM

All replies

• add a drive...  storage expanded...
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:57 AM
  • any size?

any other restrictions? Also considering it might be several years since the original drive(s), so probably newer specs.

WIth DE it makes no diff..

Rick Hantz
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 7:39 AM
  • add a drive...  storage expanded...

You must be mistaken ... this is the VAIL forum, not v1. 

Let's take Recorded TV for example.  I have about 1.5 TB of Recorded TV right now (that's after deleting all of the non essential stuff), so I'll be needing more than 2 TB pretty soon.  Some of us have folder duplication turned on for recorded tv (others do not and this will be simplier for you).  Since there is no folder duplication in Vail one option is to use RAID 1.  So, I'll actually need two harddrives to increase my 2 TB Recorded TV folder.  Once I install the two harddrives and setup RAID 1 config, I'll need to create a second Recorded TV folder (Recorded TV 2?).  Next, I'll move all of the existing Recorded TV to the new Recorded TV 2 folder.  Finally, I'll need to go to my media center machines and add this new folder as a watched folder.  Now I should be good to go.  Quite a bit more involved than "add a drive".

I'm not too familiar with RAID configuration so there may be an easier way.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Since I built my v1 system, I'll prob stick with v1 until its clear whether Vail is really usable.  I have a mix of x86 and 64bit systems, and v1 is good enough right now.

I'd love to see home management capabilities added, would be a natural as more tech becomes available.

Maybe Vail will be like Vista, most everyone skips it and waits for the real version.

Yeah, I can run Unix and Linux, but I want a dead simple reliable way to backup all my workstations and laptops, and share our pictures/music/public documents. I back the server up once a month or so to an external usb drive that I keep in a fireproof safe.

For Vail to be a success, it must be brain dead simple to operate. Adding or replacing storage needs to be plug-n-play without any technical decisions to make or steps to follow.

Probably ready built systems sold by vendors will be usable. But what happens after a year or two, when warranty/support has run out, and its time to replace/add storage?

Rick Hantz
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 6:16 PM
  • well the question was..  How do you expand storage.  I still stand by my original statement.  add a drive..  expanded storage..  Never mentioned anything about duplicating the data or  raid or etc..  
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 6:24 PM
  • What he's pointing out is:

A share cannot cross multiple HDDs. Thus, if he's using 1.5TB on his Recorded TV share/directory, and its on a 1.5TB drive, he's SOL. You can't "extend" the share/directory onto a new drive.....

At least not with the standard UI!

There ARE actually a number of options here.

option#1 - Add a new HDD, go into disk manager, convert your existing disk (for recorded TV) to dynamic, extend the volume set onto the new drive. Bingo! Your drive is now twice the size.

option#2 - Most decent RAID controllers have volume expansion capability. Pop in another identical sized HDD, and go JBOD, RAID1 or RAID5

option#3 - virtual storage

For the serious power user, with a high end raid controller. Run Vail under Hyper-V, carve out a LUN and attach it. Expand dynamically as needed. Also allows for using snapshot based backup. Needless to say, this requires a beefy server, and is not a "standard" or likely supported scenario.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Create a new share for the new hard drive you installed.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Put yourself in the position of tech support.

A user will ask:

How do I create a share?
    What should I name it?
    What goes on it?
    How do all my computers that my familiy is using use it?

A usable solution would require none of those questions answered. A new internal disk should simply be added to available storage. An external disk should pop up a question whether it should be a removable backup or used as additional storage. Thats how simple it needs to be.

Rick Hantz
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:29 PM