none
HP MediaSmart Server and HP Mediasmart TV----Good Match??? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to use all this nice media I have organised (for the first time in my life) off my shared folders in my WHS server (an HP MediaSmart EX 470)-----with the click of a button on my home TV....

I was walking through Best Buy today and was stunned to see a VERY nice 42 Inch 1080p HDTV that looks like the perfect match for what I want to do----and more...

It was called an HP MediaSmart TV model: HP SL4278N 42-inch MediaSmart High-Definition 1080p LCD TV

Had a ton of features and BestBuy was selling them on a special....

Anyone have experience matching one of these TVs to an HP MediaSmart WHS or a home brew WHS box???

Should be OK???

Or not??

Thanks for any help.

John

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:59 PM

Answers

• Got it!!!

I LOVE this TV which is first and foremost a GREAT TV!!!-----with pretty darn good speakers built in.

But the icing on the cake is a WONDERFUL seamless interface to the MSS.

Which worked for me from day one.....

I'm using wireless N and a DLink DIR-655 Gigabit Router and I have yet to see any skips or pauses when playing back media from my MSS

Get yourself a good BluRay DVD Player and a Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote (what a wonderful little produt THAT is)...

And oh my gosh-----you truly have a great home media setup....

Am thinking about a surround sound system but I'm out of two things:

am out of money...

am out of my wife's "patience tolerance"

the 2nd "out of" is not good....

John

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:32 PM

All replies

• I've got the SL4278N mediasmart LCD tv connected to my homebrew WHS box and I must say that it works flawlessly.  Everything is hardwired (not wireless) and I had no issues getting it to recognize the server.  It my case, it just works.  When turning on the TV there is a slight delay; that is to say that it is not instant on like a conventional TV.  I also have the TV connected to my windows home media center PC and recorded HDTV shows stream across the network and look stunning.  I highly recommend the TV and coupled with the WHS I think you're looking at a winning combination.  Good luck!

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Got it!!!

I LOVE this TV which is first and foremost a GREAT TV!!!-----with pretty darn good speakers built in.

But the icing on the cake is a WONDERFUL seamless interface to the MSS.

Which worked for me from day one.....

I'm using wireless N and a DLink DIR-655 Gigabit Router and I have yet to see any skips or pauses when playing back media from my MSS

Get yourself a good BluRay DVD Player and a Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote (what a wonderful little produt THAT is)...

And oh my gosh-----you truly have a great home media setup....

Am thinking about a surround sound system but I'm out of two things:

am out of money...

am out of my wife's "patience tolerance"

the 2nd "out of" is not good....

John

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Hi John,

OK I'm all ears (eyes in this case). Thinking of buying 2 of these TVs. I too have spent weeks organizing all my Divx videos, MP3s, and pictures all on the HP Server.  Are you also using a Vista Media Center for file organization or are you reading directly from the server? If direct from the MSS do you have capabilities to set up video playlists etc?

Thanks,

Scott
    Monday, February 25, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Good Questions:

MediaSmart Server uses Windows Media Connect as it does not have WMP 11

While most of your other PCs will use WMP 11

HP gives you an install disk with the TV that also installs something called Mediasmart Services Gateway which supposedly helps limit any problems of accessing information on the server from your TV whether it has WMP 11 or not.

You must enable media sharing in the server

Enable the Guest Account

Make sure your router supports sharing Media accros the network (my old Linksys was touchy but my new D-Link DIR 655 is wonderful for sharing media)

You will be able to see all videos whether you have another PC in the network on or not

Playlists???  good question----just don't know how you'd make one with what's on the server or if you could import one from WMP 11 somehow

You will be able to see all mp3 files and WMA files that are on the server.  Playlists----again---good question----don't know.

itunes AAC files can be seen on the server Only if you enable another PC on the network with WMP 11 to "look" for that folder----then the MediaSmart TV will only find and play those files that are unprotected.  So, in a way, theTV sees that folder on the server through another PCs WMP 11.  My itunes server on my MSS has compiled all my iTunes in the server music folder and the MediaSmart TV sees and plays them just fine as long as they are unprotected.

I have all my movies in base capture .avi----but I converted a copy set to divX----even though the TV reads the DivX format----I found that it would not "find" any movies on the server that ended with the .DivX suffix.  This was no big deal as I used a program called "Better File Rename" to rename all the files to .avi which, in a sense they still are-----and now the videos can be found and stream wonderfully.

My wireless N Router has worked flawlessly with this TV and I have not noticed ANY skips or jerkiness. (smaller, compressed DivX files probably helps a lot in this regard.

The HP techs told me that there is a new TV software update coming that will give full Media Extender capabilities to the TV----guess that means that we will have more capabilities but not really sure what it will do to help.

Photos look spectacular on the TV and it has a wonderful linkage to online albums in Snapfish.  I have not tried the Download Movies in Cinema Now as yet.

Personally----I'm wondering if the MediaSmartServer Update coming from HP very soon (supposedly Feb) will help some of the small issues----make the server more of a "Media Center Server.

I'm also wondering if installing WMP 11 on the server might be a good way to go for stuff like playlists......

As it is-----both the server and TV link very nicely.

At least for me.

Edit:  To keep the peace with your wife----consider a Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote (fabulous) and an inexpensive set of wireless Headphones like the Sennheiser RS-110---will hook directly to the sound out on the back of the TV.  The Harmony One works great with the HP TV----even the media functions....

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:24 AM
  • First, let me say that I've had this TV for about three weeks now and I must admit that I still love it.  Let me tell you a little about my setup.  I have a windows home server in my office that's directly connected to my router.  Connected to that router is a gigabit switch that then branches to every other room in my house.  Currently, this consists of an xbox360 in my sons room, the vista media center PC in my living room, and the HP mediasmart 42" TV in the master bedroom. The server hosts all of my 6500+ mp3 tracks, dozens of divx videos, and all of our family photos.  Vista Media Center houses my NTSC and ATSC tuners and serves the previously recorded dvr-ms TV shows in both SD and HD formats.   All of my music albums have been painstakingly been tagged with metadata and organized by artist, album, etc.  This was all done through the windows media player 11.  By the way, I did all of that prior to getting the server.  Once I built the server, I put all of my content on it, opened windows media player on the server, and had it scan for all of the content.  On the vista pc side, I had media player point to the server for all music files.  Since everything was pretty much already organized, everything looked great.  Setting it up was a snap and took no time at all.  Less than an hour in all.  The video performance of streaming HD content from the vista media center PC is excellent. 

As the mediasmart tv stands right now, you can make playlists through the HP interface on the TV but I have to say that the organization is not the best.  If you have used windows media center, you'll know that the albums are represented by there album art, and can be sorted in numerous ways.  This is non-existant right now.  You'll pretty much just get a bunch of folders, albums, songs, etc. in list format.  Same goes for pictures and videos.  Not the greatest but functional until such time that the media center extender update is made available.  I hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:42 AM
  • So King-----you installed WMP 11 on the WHS Server ------how?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:01 AM
  • John,

Reading back over my post, I realized I should have been more clear. 

On the windows home server, I'm running media player 10.  Truthfully, I really only have the library (through media player) on the server built because I'm also running Webguide 4.0 which streams my content over the internet from any browser.  If you haven't tried it yet, check it out at http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/homeserver.aspx

On Vista Media Center, I'm running version 11.  This allows me to share all of my content (i.e.  recorded TV, music, photos videos) to the xbox360 as well as the mediasmart tv.  The library points to the server for all content except for the recorded tv shows.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:19 AM