Merging and deleting Records in the CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am posting this because i am trying to find a way to basically merge and delete records. With that said here is a more in depth description of what I am trying to do.....

I have accounts with multiple contacts under the accounts however duplicate accounts do get created when the sales team for my company is importing data... but they all have different primary contacts.

What I am trying to do is create something that would go in and look at the account names and if they were the same it would then look at the contacts under the account.

If these contacts were different it would take one contact and move it into the next open contact slot for the account.

Then delete the account that the contact was move from.

Does anybody know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you want to do this programmatically then you'll want to look at the SDK and develop a program.  Otherwise, what you are describing is pretty much how CRM duplicate detection & Merge works in CRM.

When like Accounts are found based on the duplicate detection rules, the user has the option to Merge the Accounts.  When Accounts are merge, all records from one Account (including Contacts) are associated to the 'Master" Account & the duplicate Account is deactivated.  Here are a couple of videos that explain the features in greater detail.

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/regcont/en_us/op/articles/vid_duplicatedetect.aspx

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/regcont/en_us/live/articles/vid_dupdata.aspx

Regards, Donna

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Donna,

Well I am trying to do it automatically because there is way to many accounts for me to go through by hand. So I am probably going to have to "programmatically".  Do you have any suggestion on kind of where I should start to do this beside looking at the SDK?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi Chris,

If I'm right you simply want to merge the new contacts that have been created under duplicate accounts to the original and get rid of the duplicate? So I would approach this slightly differently:

To my experience, when merging accounts, MSCRM does the following

• re-link the child objects of the second account to the first account;
    • set state of second account to disabled.

So, I guess when you merge the duplicate to the original account, the contact automatically will move, and all (well, at least many important) other linked entities will move as well. So just merging the accounts seem to accomplish what you want.

Try it out by hand with two accounts first. If you want to do it automatically, I would go for the "duplicate finder rules" under "Settings"-"Data Management" (I have translated the quoted terms since I have a German deployment, so they actually might be called slightly different). The key would be to create a duplicate rule for accounts, triggered if account names are exactly the same (although in reality the problem often is that the same account is spelled differently by different account managers, but that would be a different thread ...).

I have not used the duplicate finder features yet, so I have no experience what MSCRM really does when the duplicate finder service detects a duplicate, you would need to play around a bit.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Harald

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:19 PM
  • You can have a look at this to get started. 

Merging Records in Microsoft CRM programatically 

I'll move this thread to the Development forum to increase your odds of getting some assistance from the Developers. 

Regards, Donna

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:54 PM