off topic - Cleaned Trojan Win32/Vundo.gen!D but now internet browsers not working RRS feed

• General discussion

• Avast has been detecting a Trojan on our computer often over the past few weeks, but with no means of removing.  On further investigation we found it was the above specific named, and with Microsoft virus support were able to remove it.

However we are now experiencing internet browsing restrictions (on both Explorer7 and Firefox).  We can access some sites (eg Hotmail and ebay) but little else.  Any suggestions?
    Monday, April 28, 2008 11:54 AM

All replies

• If  you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:19 PM
  • I am using Live OneCare and I'm having this same exact problem.  When I run a scan, it tells me to restart my computer to clean this virus, so I do, but now, the OneCare is opening and giving me an error.  I went into run>services.msc and did all that, but it's still not opening like it's supposed to.

I can't even get into Windows Update. 

Any other ideas on what I can do?

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:15 PM
  •  menyou wrote:

I am using Live OneCare and I'm having this same exact problem.  When I run a scan, it tells me to restart my computer to clean this virus, so I do, but now, the OneCare is opening and giving me an error.  I went into run>services.msc and did all that, but it's still not opening like it's supposed to.

I can't even get into Windows Update. 

Any other ideas on what I can do?

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal. As well as to fix whatever may now be wrong with OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  After several reboots of the computer, OneCare finally came up.  I ran some more virus scans and everything that wasn't working before is working now.  If this continues to happen I will definitely be contacting support as I've only been using OneCare for three days and I'm already having problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Hi:  I will go to support at that URL, but want to ask about "Isass.exe"  that has shown up and is running (in Task Manager)

and is named as a virus by "Uniblue" (www.uniblue.com) (don't go there yet!)  which claims to be a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, and wants to run a "free performance scan" to assess potential damage done by "Isass.exe".  Have you any information on this and is it a Trojan or whatever, and why can't Live OneCare find it for me? I just completed a scan and OneCare says everything is OK, but Isass.exe and OUTLOOK.exe are shown running in Task Manager, and won't respond to End Process.

I am running distributed computer programs and need to know S.A.P. about Live ONeCare performance capabilities.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Lsass.exe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Security_Authority_Subsystem_Service

Outlook.exe is exactly that - Outlook. It won't shut down if you have something connected to your PC that is dependent on this, such as a PDA or mobile phone using ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center, among other things. Of course, it also runs if you are running Outlook.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:19 PM