Sync'ing different folders, then syncing the whole drive afterwards RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks, I have two removable hard drives that I am syncing together and working great using the 'Syncronize Option'.
    I am syncing individual folders at a time so I have more control.

However today, I set up a Syncronization of the whole drive, which will in effect 'clone' each drive.

My question is, can I do this after syncing the folders individually beforehand? (The 'temp sync' files in each folder, will they become corrupt?)

Basically, what Im asking, is that can you syncronise a folder, and then afterwards, syncronise the folder above it, hence syncronising that initial one again.

Thanks

James
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi -

There is a performance issue with this. We will be creating independent metadata for each folder pair that you create so when you create a folder pair involving a folder above it - completely different metadata will be created at that level for files underneath the subfolder. Which means when run the sync's all the comparisons will be run all over again. It should work ( especially if the drives are NTFS I forsee no issue) but from a performance standpoint I would not recommend it.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• Hi James,
         If you sync the subfolder then doing the sync from higher/root level folder, just if the action is same, it will act almost same.

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:07 AM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi -

There is a performance issue with this. We will be creating independent metadata for each folder pair that you create so when you create a folder pair involving a folder above it - completely different metadata will be created at that level for files underneath the subfolder. Which means when run the sync's all the comparisons will be run all over again. It should work ( especially if the drives are NTFS I forsee no issue) but from a performance standpoint I would not recommend it.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:20 PM

• Thanks for your instruction! It's good for reference.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:24 AM