Restoring files from another computer RRS feed

• Question

• I go through the custom restore files process and navigate to the folder where my backup files are located, but I keep getting the message saying that it can't find "a backup device or network folder containing a backup to restore...". I tried every level of the restore folder, including the "catalogs" and "files" subfolders. What is OneCare looking for? How can I fool the stupid program into thinking this is a valid backup?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:48 AM

Answers

• After a lot of tinkering, I discovered that it was in fact my mistake. I thought I had tried every level in the folder structure, but I stopped short of the highest parent level. OneCare did recognize that as a legitimate backup location. Sorry for the false alarm.

However, when I went to the next step of having OneCare search that location for the backup information, it ran for HOURS before I finally gave up and used Task Manager to kill it because the "Cancel" button didn't work. I resolved my challenge of restoring my data by going to the PC where the backup drive resides. That same search step only took about a minute. I restored my files there, then copied them to my new laptop.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:42 PM

All replies

• What is this backup from? Is it from this PC before a wipe and reinstall of Windows or similar on this PC? If so, try setting up backup first and point to the same location when configuring the backup. Select a file type in your plan that will make a small backup. Run the backup. Then perform the custom restore, pointing to the external drive and selecting "from another computer." It should see the backup and allow you to restore. if not, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:55 AM
  • My computer died and I have replaced it. I need to restore my data files from the backup of my old computer to my new computer. This should be business as usual for a backup and restore program like OneCare claims to be. My backup files are on a dedicated drive in another computer on my home network. I know they are there because I can go into them and see the files. After my initial post, I even tried renaming my new PC to the name of the one that died. Again to no avail.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Actually, as a work-around to get a few of the files I want most, can you tell me the parameters to use to just unzip them manually?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Before going the manual route, try the solution that I provided.

Let's determine more information about your backup.
    Was the PC that died a hub PC in your OneCare circle and hosting Centralized backup?
    Is the external drive connected to the other PC in the same location that it was when the PC that died backed up to it?

OneCare restore seems to have a problem if the Host PC for Centralized backup (the hub) dies. You may be able to set the new PC as a hub and reconfigure Centralized backup, run a small backup and then restore the old data using custom backup.

If the drive was used for single PC backup for the OLD PC and you have now attached the drive to another PC, you need to run the custom restore with the drive attached to the new PC directly. if the old PC backed up over the network to that drive as a Share where it is currently located, restore with the drive in the same location and shared should work.

Configure backup on the new PC to backup to the exact same location/path as the backup you are trying to restore.
    I'll repeat what I said above:
    Select a file type in your plan that will make a small backup. Run the backup. Then perform the custom restore, pointing to the external drive and selecting "from another computer." It should see the backup and allow you to restore. if not, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you wish to restore manually, the zip files can be opened with a 3rd party zip program such as WinZip. Files that were split by OneCare backup need to be rejoined after unzipping. Rename the parts to have extensions of 000, 001, 002 etc. and then use this free utility to rejoin the parts:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:35 AM
  • After a lot of tinkering, I discovered that it was in fact my mistake. I thought I had tried every level in the folder structure, but I stopped short of the highest parent level. OneCare did recognize that as a legitimate backup location. Sorry for the false alarm.

However, when I went to the next step of having OneCare search that location for the backup information, it ran for HOURS before I finally gave up and used Task Manager to kill it because the "Cancel" button didn't work. I resolved my challenge of restoring my data by going to the PC where the backup drive resides. That same search step only took about a minute. I restored my files there, then copied them to my new laptop.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Whew! I'm glad that you were able to resolve it.
    If you've spent any time perusing the forum, you may note that I have offered my opinion  anumber of times on the backup/restore process on OneCare. It is better than nothing, and can be a lifesaver for many, but it has many flaws and I personally don't use it. You've encountered one of the flaws - it is simply too convoluted for anything other than backing up to CD/DVD and restoring from CD/DVD, which was the original design and implementation. Adding the external drive backup was good, but it fell short in that there is no cleanup function. Adding a network location was nice, but that adds even more complication with permissions and location. Adding the Hub/Circle Centralized backup feature and making it the default when setting up a backup was poorly implemented, in my opinion.
    Since OneCare is at end of life, you probably ought to be looking at alternative backup solutions.
    -steve
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:57 PM