Installed fine - error on reboot "NTLDR is missing" RRS feed

• Question

• "NTLDR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

This is an endless loop ... no other error messages or anything.

WHS installed last night fine. I logged on, tried to connect to the internet and failed. I just changed the default Workgroup workgroup to my own local workgroup. On reboot, I get the error message above. Did changing the workgroup kill it???

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:20 PM

Answers

•  Aware wrote:

I'm in the process of a New Installation to see if it somehow cures it.

That seems to have done the trick. Not sure what, if anything, I did differently this tim, but now no error.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:38 PM

All replies

• Make sure you don't have a floppy in a drive, or any other bootable device attempting to boot before the BIOS gets to the hard drive.  I see this happen a lot with USB flash drives and such.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:41 PM
  • The machine has no floppy drive ... I did have the WHS DVD in the drive, but removing that was not a cure.

Tried an upgrade install ... it failed with the same error. I'm in the process of a New Installation to see if it somehow cures it.

Next I'll try pulling un-necessary hardware. The only connected hardware that did not have drivers installed on initial build was the printer - an HP somethingorother.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:58 PM
  • To troubleshoot your Prob. i would need some more Input ;)

do you have any RAID- or any aditional controllers for HDD's ?

I had a similiar Prob with mine, Installation works nice, but after it was ready not boot was possible. First after i disconnected my additional HDD-Controller and installed the WHS on a single HDD it was possible to boot from it. Thenafter i isntalled the Controller again and added the HDD's to my WHS.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:43 PM
  • I had a similar issue on my install.  WHS installed to the largest drive, and that happened to not be my Primary Master on the IDE chain.  My bios was set to boot from IDE0 first then CD\DVD.  So I saw the same loop.  I ended up disconnecting all the drives except for the one I wanted it installed to and it went fine.  Another option would have been to set the BIOS to boot from the largest drive.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:29 PM
  •  Aware wrote:

I'm in the process of a New Installation to see if it somehow cures it.

That seems to have done the trick. Not sure what, if anything, I did differently this tim, but now no error.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:38 PM