How to change a field's type in CRM 2016 RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Seemorgh,

Below are my views,

If you are not worried about the data, delete the field in all environments. Then add new field in dev and promote solution to other environments.

If you are worried about data, below are the advantages or disadvantages of above options:

First solution:  Its simple, to be executed in all environments- But unsupported and If something goes wrong you wont be able to get MS support. This solution retains data.

Second solution: In every environment you to need back-up data,delete field(else will cause error while promoting to other environments) and reload data in every environment. Costly operation but its a clean solution.

Ramanathan Rajendran MCTS - Dynamics CRM

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:59 PM
  • Hi Ramanathan 

Thanks for your reply.

We must retain the data for that field. So the second option looks like the only one. However, as I mentioned in my question, deleting the existing field and creating a new field will result in different guid values for the same field in different environments. Will this cause an error in the future when we want to promote a solution from one environment to another?

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Yes it will create error while promoting to other environments. To avoid this, take a back-up of data and delete the fields in all environments. One after solution promotion, push the data again.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Hi Ramanathan,

Since your production is managed solution, you will not be able to delete the field from production because of solution dependency. You can only copy the data from your old field to the new field and leave the old field empty. There are ways to delete the field using holding solution method for pre 2016 CRM instances.

http://www.inogic.com/blog/2016/08/how-to-delete-component-from-managed-solution-in-dynamics-crm-2016/

Regards,

Jithesh

Monday, April 3, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Dear Jithesh,

Appreciate your inputs,

Up to my knowledge and based on my past experiences, You can delete or add or modify fields of an entity in a managed solution. There are workarounds to achieve this.

Please refer the below blog on managed properties and let me know if you still feel that's not achievable,

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309297.aspx

Sunday, April 9, 2017 2:14 AM