Issues with /connect and my wireless laptops RRS feed

• Question

• I have a linksys EA3500 wireless router - 3 wireless laptops (all running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate) - 1 wired PC - 1 wired WHS 2011.

I can not connect to WHS 2011 from my wireless laptops at all.  I have read many forums and websites and am at a loss.  The WHS has a static IP and I am able to access it via the wired PC but not any wireless laptop.  I can't ping the server IP from any laptop either.  I have disabled IPv6 and still nothing.  I have gone through my router settings over and over changing different things back and forth and the only time I can get the laptop to ping the server's IP is when I change the wireless Security Mode and it is only temporary.  After about 45-60 seconds the ping with report "Request timed out".  By default the routers wireless Security Mode is WPA2/WPA mixed mode. When I switch between mixed mode and WPA2 Personal I am able to briefly ping the servers IP.  Any suggestions or help would be amazing, this is getting frustrating.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:34 PM

All replies

• I left out the part that I am able to use Remote Access no problem.  I have User accounts and shared folders and none of that is an issue at all.  Also I am able to ping the IP address of my other wired PC from any wireless laptop.  Only the server is unreachable from wireless laptops.

Josh Henderson

Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hi Josh, you mean you can reach the server if only you change wireless security mode to WPA2 Personal, right?

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:44 AM
  • That's correct but it only works very briefly maybe 45-60 seconds.  Then after that I get the "Request timed out" again.  It will also work sometimes when I switch from WPA2 Personal back to WPA/WPA2 mixed mode but again it is only very briefly.  I have no issue reaching my other wired PC though I can ping it no problem so I don't necessarily think it the router.

Josh Henderson

Monday, May 21, 2012 10:56 AM