Programatically migrate E-mails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum,

one of our client has few business streams and they are using 2 instances of CRM 2011 on-premise version. (not using multi tenancy but completely different deployments). They have now decided to consolidate their few businesses under one umbrella and therefore requirement is there to merge 2 CRM systems.

I have been assign a task to bring across all emails including attachments from System A to B. (approx. 500,000 emails with approx. 2 attachments per email)

I am thinking to write a console app where I will query System A and  create the email using SDK messages with below process flow:

1. Using retrieve SDK message I will get the email.

2. Using that email ID I will query attachments.

3. Using for loop, will create and attach those attachment to the email ( if more than 1 attachment)

4. Create Email with relevant status from the source system. ( I assume setting a status of the record straight away is possible. Like sent and received for email along with the activity dates like actual start and end date)

5. In order to get activity party like 'to' and 'from' fields, do I have to make a join to "Activity Pary" in my query or can I use 'Sender' and 'ToReciepient' field available in filteredEmail view? this one seems to be tricky too.

Just would like to know the opinion of the experts from the forum to know if this approach will work to migrate these numbers of email with their attachments. Is there any particulars I have to be aware of as I am sure this won't as easy as any other normal non-activity entities.

There are some examples on the internet so I go fair bit of idea about coding like converting attachment into base64 string sort of things. Any one has a link to some recommended code then please post it here.

Any input is welcome as I want to make sure that this approach will work. Also, please let me know if there is any alternative way of doing this. Unfortunately, third party software like scribe is not an option for me. SSIS is available but have no prior experience in that. Happy learn if it's efficient and robust enough.  

Thank You in advance.

JB 

• Edited by CRM Thirsty Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:11 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 9:11 PM

Answers

• Yeah. You found right website. Recheck Download Page/Download Section, I found there following lines:

Free Developer License

The download software will operate under the free developer license after installation by default. Under the developer license, you can use the software within development environment (Visual Studio, or BIDS - Business Intelligence Development Studio) for free for as long as you want (Of course, your use of the software is governed by the terms of its accompanying license agreement).

The only limitation with the free developer license is, you cannot run the software outside of the development environment (Visual Studio or BIDS). If you would like to run the software outside the development environment (BIDS or Visual Studio), such as running SSIS packages on a scheduled basis or from a command line, you will need to acquire a license from us.

So for your migration it will be for free.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

• Marked as answer by CRM Thirsty Sunday, November 8, 2015 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Hello,

Everything you mentioned is possible with this adaptor.

You should recheck this article to get understanding how to import activity parties - http://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm/faq

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Friday, November 6, 2015 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You should learn SSIS. Adaptor for Dynamics CRM is available so I suggest to invest some time to learn it.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Monday, November 2, 2015 11:02 PM
  • Hi Andrii,

Thanks for your input. Would you please guide me where to download this Adaptor ? Is it free or paid product ? Just asking so I can inform my manager if purchase is require.

Google search gives me this: http://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm which is a paid product. 

I also found this link but from where to download the tool  http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=10381.

Also, is this connector for CRM to CRM or from CRM to other dynamics products like (AX,NAV..)

Regards,

JB

• Edited by CRM Thirsty Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:13 PM
  • Yeah. You found right website. Recheck Download Page/Download Section, I found there following lines:

Free Developer License

The download software will operate under the free developer license after installation by default. Under the developer license, you can use the software within development environment (Visual Studio, or BIDS - Business Intelligence Development Studio) for free for as long as you want (Of course, your use of the software is governed by the terms of its accompanying license agreement).

The only limitation with the free developer license is, you cannot run the software outside of the development environment (Visual Studio or BIDS). If you would like to run the software outside the development environment (BIDS or Visual Studio), such as running SSIS packages on a scheduled basis or from a command line, you will need to acquire a license from us.

So for your migration it will be for free.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Andrii. I have used Kingswaysoft with SSIS for a number of CRM projects where I've had to migrate data. Tool is great, makes writing SSIS packages so much easier!

John

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:51 AM
  • Thank you Andrii and John for validating this tool. Seems like a good fit in my current project.

Just a quick question about the ability of this tool. Can I migrate records in their source system status like:

1. Closed opportunities with their respective status/status reason

2. Email with sent, received statuses ( How it handles Activity Party fields like to, from, etc..)

3. Closed cases.

4. Completed Phone calls, Task and Appointments

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

JB

• Edited by CRM Thirsty Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:55 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Hello,

Everything you mentioned is possible with this adaptor.

You should recheck this article to get understanding how to import activity parties - http://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm/faq

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Friday, November 6, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi Andrii,

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

JB

Sunday, November 8, 2015 8:13 PM