BSOD with restore disk RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says, I tried a restore booting from a purchased copy of WHS. It will go through the boot process with no problem, ask for language and such. Then goes to the file and driver install, asks for additional drivers, none needed on my system. Then starts to search for home server, busy icon circle moves erratically and gets to window about rescan or custom network configuration. Retried search as recommended, no joy, BSOD. Had to reboot. Tried entering server name, no joy, BSOD. Had to reboot.  Could not get past this. I even tried a restore disk from an evaluation set, same thing. Also tried on another DVD/CD drive, no joy.

The WHS software has been rock solid. I have used it since public beta and had no problems.

WHS server is a Dell 4550 desktop, Intel P4 2.4, 2MB memory, 1 160GB PATA and 1 250GB PATA, ATI1650Pro video.

The client is a ASUS P5NSLI mb, Intel Core2 2.4GZ, 3MB memory, 2 GForce SLI video cards running parallel via SLI on the motherboard, RAID 1 500GB disks.

What I found is that if I remove one video card in the client and reconfigure the motherboard video jumper to 1 card, all is well. This kind of defeats the purpose of dual video for graphics and editing I need.

Is there a reason that the OS on the restore disk, WinPE if i remember, does not recognize dual video cards.

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:51 AM

All replies

•  moneypit wrote:

As the title says, I tried a restore booting from a purchased copy of WHS. It will go through the boot process with no problem, ask for language and such. Then goes to the file and driver install, asks for additional drivers, none needed on my system. Then starts to search for home server, busy icon circle moves erratically and gets to window about rescan or custom network configuration. Retried search as recommended, no joy, BSOD. Had to reboot. Tried entering server name, no joy, BSOD. Had to reboot.  Could not get past this. I even tried a restore disk from an evaluation set, same thing. Also tried on another DVD/CD drive, no joy.

The WHS software has been rock solid. I have used it since public beta and had no problems.

WHS server is a Dell 4550 desktop, Intel P4 2.4, 2MB memory, 1 160GB PATA and 1 250GB PATA, ATI1650Pro video.

The client is a ASUS P5NSLI mb, Intel Core2 2.4GZ, 3MB memory, 2 GForce SLI video cards running parallel via SLI on the motherboard, RAID 1 500GB disks.

What I found is that if I remove one video card in the client and reconfigure the motherboard video jumper to 1 card, all is well. This kind of defeats the purpose of dual video for graphics and editing I need.

Is there a reason that the OS on the restore disk, WinPE if i remember, does not recognize dual video cards.

This is indeed a tough one, in my experience until I install and configure the Nvidia Drivers for SLI the operating system will recognise the cards seperately. given that WinPE is hardly a full operating system, it is reasonable to expect that it has but only the most common of VGA adapter drivers.

Does the BSOD confirm that it is the video cards that are causing the crash?

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:53 PM
  • No it does not directly. It gives the generic STOP irq_not_equal message with text regarding newly installed hardware. That was my clue after many hours.

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Random question. Have you ever had Windows 7 Beta on that machine? Are you using a SSD?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:05 AM
  •  I am not sure we are having the same problem, but I downloaded the new WHS dual boot restore disk and I am no longer getting the BSOD when trying to restore.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3121285&SiteID=50
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:18 AM
  • M$MAN said:

Random question. Have you ever had Windows 7 Beta on that machine? Are you using a SSD?

Probably not considering this post is 1 year old. ;)
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Doh, exactly a year ago. Thanks.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:16 PM