CRM 2015 - trigger custom data snapshot process RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We have currently setting up a new CRM 2015 (on-premise) organisation and have encountered a dilemma.

Scenario: At any given point in time (generally at the end of the month), a user needs to trigger an end of month process that will automatically loop through all the current active projects (custom entity) and log certain financial details (in the form of a transaction) by creating a new record of project progress (another custom entity). The process will include some calculations and not just a simple copy and paste of figures.

I was thinking of having a Boolean field in the projects entity. Whenever the user clicks on a custom ribbon button, a javascript function will update all current active projects, setting the Boolean flag to true. At the end of each day, a windows scheduled job will process all the projects whose flag is set to true.

However I am concerned that this reasoning is prone to error.

Is there any better, cleaner way to do this using OOB CRM 2015 features?

Thanks

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you need to mark projects, that will be calculated, so you need to make a boolean field, but if you need to process all projects, then you don't need to make a boolean field, which will be visible to the users.

So if i made this scenario, I'll make a boolean field "isProjectCalculated" witch is not visible to the users (or users cannot update it) and it is false - default.

When my process will run, it takes a project, set this field to true, choosing needed data and then makes needed actions.

If some error happens, you can set this field to false to remove the error and make calculations again.

• Edited by xjomanx Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert Cassar Friday, July 31, 2015 8:31 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:34 PM