none
Where should I start? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure what certification would be the best start.  Most of my friends have IT degrees or jobs and they always come to me for help. So I'm thinking its time to get certified.

But i'm not sure which certification suits me.   I can understand some code and rewrite it, but I can't actually code.  I can fix nearly any windows operating or non  operating software issues.  I can figure out most hardware issues, but I'm not a experienced solder.  I can set up and maintain most average networks.

Would a MCDST certification be a good start?  

What I am asking is what would be a good starting point with my current experience?  Also, what kind of respect do people in the tech community have with this certification?

I read the wiki page on Microsoft Certification and I still don't completely understand. 

Thanks

Perfection is my goal, excellence will be tolerated.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:04 AM

Answers

• Hi, there are many certificates available.

One of the advantages of being certified is that, you have proven yourself competent. Besides that, in any job interview, you would be on a cutting edge compared to the others who might not have a certificate. Furthermore, you gain advanced, market-relevant skills that employers recognize and respect as well as opportunities to connect with a global community of other certified professionals. Additionally, certification provides you with access to exclusive Microsoft resources and benefits.

MCDST would be a good start. But there is more knowledge for you to acquire in order to be eligible for the certification. In most of the certifications available would require time to prepare and learn.

This is when you can share back to the community what you know and advise people on what you think is best based on your expertise if you have obtained the certification.

Don't focus on the respect you get in the tech community because that's not important. The important thing is what you have learnt, you are able to return back to the community and help others achieve the same goal. Of course, if you are certified, proves that you are good in that area, therefore makes what you say credible and reliable.

It would be good if you look around the many certificates and see which you are most comfortable starting with, then understand the requirements and start preparing for it.

It would be good for your job resume in the future.

All the best!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Hello,

I too agree what "Kennetham" says. Please start from the basic and try to become expert with industry experience to get good respect in the Tech Community. First try to learn more about product and troubleshooting then go for certification. 

Meanwhile have a look for all MSFT certifications path. 

http://sachinshetty.design.officelive.com/MSFTCertificationPath.aspx

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hi, there are many certificates available.

One of the advantages of being certified is that, you have proven yourself competent. Besides that, in any job interview, you would be on a cutting edge compared to the others who might not have a certificate. Furthermore, you gain advanced, market-relevant skills that employers recognize and respect as well as opportunities to connect with a global community of other certified professionals. Additionally, certification provides you with access to exclusive Microsoft resources and benefits.

MCDST would be a good start. But there is more knowledge for you to acquire in order to be eligible for the certification. In most of the certifications available would require time to prepare and learn.

This is when you can share back to the community what you know and advise people on what you think is best based on your expertise if you have obtained the certification.

Don't focus on the respect you get in the tech community because that's not important. The important thing is what you have learnt, you are able to return back to the community and help others achieve the same goal. Of course, if you are certified, proves that you are good in that area, therefore makes what you say credible and reliable.

It would be good if you look around the many certificates and see which you are most comfortable starting with, then understand the requirements and start preparing for it.

It would be good for your job resume in the future.

All the best!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Hello,

I too agree what "Kennetham" says. Please start from the basic and try to become expert with industry experience to get good respect in the Tech Community. First try to learn more about product and troubleshooting then go for certification. 

Meanwhile have a look for all MSFT certifications path. 

http://sachinshetty.design.officelive.com/MSFTCertificationPath.aspx

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Thanks for all your help.

I have one other question.  What kind of certifications would I need to self sustain a network on a large yacht?  They would have radar,  GPS, Satellite internet/tv ,  engine diagnostics, and few other equipment hooked up to the network.  

What certification would be worth having for that type of job? I know Microsoft certification will only go so far.

Perfection is my goal, excellence will be tolerated.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Take for example what expertise do you want to have? For example, I am a MCSA Certified, and if I would want a job doing Microsoft Office related, this is where companies will look at.

Of course in any job, if you are a Microsoft certified whatever the certification is, compared to some other who do not have a certificate, you would stand a higher chance of the job.

You might want to take a look at the certifications here. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/view-by-technology.aspx

This will give you a better idea on what fits your needs.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:08 AM